How to get rid of Fruit flies safely?

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
So for some reason we are experiencing some problems with fruit flies or nats.
What do you guys recommend using to get rid of them safely? We don't want to use anything that will harm Quincy.

Thanks
96a85ce5a95d694922c412981190dc4f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hej Quincy69, I find a good old-fashioned fruit fly trap made using red wine vinegar works best. Take an old glass jar, like a jam jar or something similar, and pour some red wine vinegar in until it's maybe a quarter full. You then pour just a few drops of dishwashing detergent into the vinegar, which breaks the surface tension of the vinegar meaning that the flies cannot escape the vinegar and drown. You cover the top of the jar with cling film secured with a rubber band and poke a few small holes in the cling film to allow the fruit flies in. No fumes, no sprays, and pretty much no fruit flies after a fairly short length of time :)

OP
Quincy69

Quincy69

May 7, 2018
Hej Quincy69, I find a good old-fashioned fruit fly trap made using red wine vinegar works best. Take an old glass jar, like a jam jar or something similar, and pour some red wine vinegar in until it's maybe a quarter full. You then pour just a few drops of dishwashing detergent into the vinegar, which breaks the surface tension of the vinegar meaning that the flies cannot escape the vinegar and drown. You cover the top of the jar with cling film secured with a rubber band and poke a few small holes in the cling film to allow the fruit flies in. No fumes, no sprays, and pretty much no fruit flies after a fairly short length of time :)
Thank you for the help! We will give this a try!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
apple cider vinegar works too- i don't even add the dishwashing soup. I just punch holes in a ziplock bag that you have secured tightly over top of jar w/ a hair tie ore rubber band.. put a few around and try to remove their other food sources and they will flock to the jar.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, it works. I've used this for years, with a few different things. Apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, and even just cheap old cooking wine found left in the fridge. The soap really makes it more effective- turns it from a fly feeder to a fly trap.

Most Reactions

Latest posts