how to get sick budgie to eat powdered emergency food?

miosj

Aug 25, 2022
hi, i've brought my sick budgie to the vet a few days ago and the vet gave us a powdered suppliment/food by VETAFARM (critta care) which provides nutritional support for sick and injured birds. the vet told us to try and force feed her as she isn't tamed. i tried placing the powder mixed with water into a syringe to feed her when i use a towel to hand hold her but she refuses to open her mouth and swallow any of it. i'm really worried for her health as im also giving her 3 other types of medicine as prescribed by the doc.

are there any other ways i can encourage/feed her? if it helps she's apparently malnutrioned as stated by the vet but she hardly eats anything i feed her be it apples or water spinach and only takes small nibbles all along

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
hi, i've brought my sick budgie to the vet a few days ago and the vet gave us a powdered suppliment/food by VETAFARM (critta care) which provides nutritional support for sick and injured birds. the vet told us to try and force feed her as she isn't tamed. i tried placing the powder mixed with water into a syringe to feed her when i use a towel to hand hold her but she refuses to open her mouth and swallow any of it. i'm really worried for her health as im also giving her 3 other types of medicine as prescribed by the doc.

are there any other ways i can encourage/feed her? if it helps she's apparently malnutrioned as stated by the vet but she hardly eats anything i feed her be it apples or water spinach and only takes small nibbles all along
Are you feeding your budgie a main diet of seeds or pellets? She needs to eat those things along with apples and spinach.

(I’m sorry if this is a dumb question. I just want to make sure you are feeding her the main budgie foods of birdseed or pellets as well as fruits and vegetables.)

Last edited:
OP
miosj

miosj

Aug 25, 2022
Are you feeding your budgie a main diet of seeds or pellets? She needs to eat those things along with apples and spinach.

(I’m sorry if this is a dumb question. I just want to make sure you are feeding her the main budgie foods of birdseed or pellets as well as fruits and vegetables.)

yep! i feed her a main diet of bird seeds as i tried giving her zupreem's pellet in the past but she barely touched it but recently i bought roudybush pellets for her and mixed it in with her seeds. she finally seems to be eating a lot more frm her foodbowl as based off what ive seen yesterday :)

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy

Does she like fruit and/or sweet foods? If so, perhaps mix the powdered "food" with fruit juice, instead of water? My parrots love organic tart cherry juice, which is actually quite sweet and not that tart. My avian vet recommends it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts