How to keep water bowl clean when parrot loves putting things in it?

Snapdragon

Dec 26, 2019
Everett, WA
Parrots
Tashi, almost-2-year-old female moustache parakeet, Indian subspecies (Psittacula alexandri fasciata)
My mustache parakeet, Tashi, loves putting things in his water bowl. Pellets. Beans. Papaya granules. Wood, both large chunks and splinters. Paper. Any pieces of destroyed toys. Whatever he can get his beak on. He's kind of obsessed, and it doesn't help that he's a voracious chewer and shredder.

When I bring him home, I will mostly continue to work outside my home. I want to keep his water reasonably clean while I'm gone. My coworker suggests a water bottle, but I've heard horror stories about bottles not dispensing water, pets managing to chew the stopper, etc. Plus twisting motions (removing a lid) and the motions to wash the inside of a bottle cause me pain. I want to stick with stainless steel bowls.

What has worked for you guys?

Bonus pic of Tashi, Captain Shredderator Supreme himself:
fhVVBrt.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yup, I think its because they figured out that their Staff will change-out of the water and provide them something to amuse themselves with...

We just purchased a small boatload of water bowls and switch them out quickly. Hasn't changed anything other than Mrs. Boats is happier that her Sweetheart has fresh water.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
My Rosetta was, I think, a washerwoman in an earlier life. She puts *every*thing in her water. It's almost as if she doesn't trust any item that hasn't first been 'washed' by her own scaly 'hands'.

Unlike the Beaks, she knows how to fish things out again. While Barney or Madge will sit on the side of their pool and obviously wish they could get this or that toy back, 'Setta just reaches in her foot and guddles about until she can hook out whatever she wants with one long toenail.

Once, I gave the birds a cheap toilet roll each to play with (I know! I know! It was a long time ago!). The Beaks did as expected and tore strips off, enjoying themselves enormously by 'decorating' their cage in white snow. Rosetta pulled the paper off sheet by sheet and took each bit to 'wash' in her pool. By the time I got there, she had about a kilo of papier mâché percolating away and was stomping in it, just as if she'd been tasked with stomping a vatful of pinot noir grapes.

Long story short (sorry about that): I don't know how to prevent a bird from putting things in its water, but considering how much fun mine get from it, I wouldn't really want to. Just so long as you realise that anything with metal parts will rust and need a good cleaning from time to time, I wouldn't worry. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Our previous parrot, Max, used to be a dunker. We placed his water bowl up at the top of the cage, with just enough room for him to get his little head between the lip of the bowl and the top of the cage. And far from the food bowl. After a year or so, we lowered it gradually but still high up and far from food bowls.

If you try this, try adding a second bowl outside his cage. Salty likes to dunk his toys in preparation to throwing them across the room. Until we did this, he made a mess on the inside.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
make a strainer that sits on the bottom, when it gets some junk in it, sift it out real quick and shazam!

Most Reactions

Latest posts