How to prevent separation anxiety in a new Conure

Rc4mx

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hello, I will be getting my baby home in a few weeks time. I've been reading through some tough stories of separation anxiety and their Conure will scream all day if they aren't in the room. I totally understand that Conures scream and its part of their nature. But I also understand that a lot of the time excessive screaming can be caused by something the owner is/isnt doing. Maybe because they spend TOO much time with them in the early days of ownership so they get extremely attached and afraid to be alone?

But my question is what is a good way to help prevent separation anxiety from ever happening in the first place. I am confident that most bad behaviors in birds are avoidable in the first place If handled properly. Not saying a conure scream is bad, but excessive screaming isnt a good sign.

Would consistent training and bonding only for say 3-4 hours a day, then leave them alone on the cage to learn to play with their toys and be content be a proper route to take in the beginning? I will also have sufficient toys for him and will switch them out every 2-3 weeks to keep it new and interesting.

Thanks for any advice!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Kind of a myth...not really but mostly.

Once a bird figures out your schedule they will not be screaming contact calls all day.

They wont even on the first day.... They won't really know you yet... by the time you are bonded they will know your schedule and be ok with it. It's only when the schedule changes they are like "?"

But so long as it changes in their favor say the weekend they roll with it.

Once you get home you might expect a LOT of contact calls even as they are sitting on your shoulder but they are pretty smart people and understand a schedule.

OP
Rc4mx

Rc4mx

Jun 11, 2022
Parrots
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Kind of a myth...not really but mostly.

Once a bird figures out your schedule they will not be screaming contact calls all day.

They wont even on the first day.... They won't really know you yet... by the time you are bonded they will know your schedule and be ok with it. It's only when the schedule changes they are like "?"

But so long as it changes in their favor say the weekend they roll with it.

Once you get home you might expect a LOT of contact calls even as they are sitting on your shoulder but they are pretty smart people and understand a schedule.
Thanks for your advice!

I was more thinking about when I am home and I leave the room to get stuff done and the little one starts screaming because I'm not in the same room. I obviously will be spending good quality time with him but there will of course be times when I am not in the room and I don't want him to be nervous/scared and start screaming every time I walk away for a little bit.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it because of the stories I've been reading? haha

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Oh if if your home.... yep they will scream........best advice just put the shoulder bird on your shoulder and do what you would normally do.

That's what I do then I thank them for helping me out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts