How to Rehome?

MarleyMom

Feb 14, 2018
We have made the very difficult decision to rehome our Congo African Grey. The main reason being health issues. My husband's asthma has been progressively getting worse. He spent 5 nights in the hospital in February and he still was having symptoms when he came home. He has been to an allergist and it is confirmed that bird dander is a trigger. He has just been living with the symptoms but with his asthma getting worse we feel that he shouldn't be trying to live with symptoms anymore. Our 9 month old daughter is also showing signs for asthma. Too soon to diagnose but we are watching it carefully.

This weekend my mother in law had a heart attack, she is in ICU and it is very touch and go right now. Obviously, he has been spending a lot of time at the hospital for her. Marley, our grey, just isn't getting the attention he deserves with all of these health issues. I'm trying to work full time and I feel like a single mom even though I have a husband but his health and hospital trips have made it difficult for him to be more involved.

Ever since our daughter was born Marley has been showing signs of stress- plucking, different noises and calls.

It has all become too much for me to handle. I'm worried about my husband's health, daughter's health, mother in law, and spending enough time with the bird all while working 40 hours a week and holding down a household.

How does someone start the process to rehome a bird? I really want him to go to a good home, I just don't know how to start. Any advice is tremendously appreciated.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Where is your location? There may be members here in your area that could help.

You can post an ad on facebook, craigslist, I personally like Hoobly.com , that's where I found my two bids. Post an ad with pictures of your grey. You can list him for sale (around $1500 range?) but you don't have to charge anything if you don't want to, but that's just to weed out the people wanting a free bird to resale for profit.

Be sure to list in the description of your ad that you require large bid experience in a new owner, as no one should take on a grey without significant knowledge of their behaviors and needs. You can be as descriptive as you want in your ad. Before any payment is made you should ask that the person come and meet your grey to see if they get along. You can't always meet everyone but you should be able to get a good feel for who is out there and who is being truthful and could be a great home.

Hoping you can find a great home for your grey. These things do happen.

OP
M

MarleyMom

Feb 14, 2018
Thank you this helps! I am in Virginia. That would be great if I can find someone on here who could help! I would feel really confident finding a home for him that came from a parrot forum.

OP
M

MarleyMom

Feb 14, 2018
Dopey could you private message me? I tried to private message you but it won't let me. Thank you for reaching out!!!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I think you need 20 messages before you can private message. You should be able to send a note to the admins. Or I will and give them my e-mail for you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think you need 20 messages before you can private message. You should be able to send a note to the admins. Or I will and give them my e-mail for you.

Just forwarded your email:)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sad news when Greys have to be re-homed, they seem to take it so much worse then other species do. But people come first, then parrots. Hope you find Marley a great forever home.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Goodness! I'm also local(Maryland) and could at least offer help.... somehow. Not sure how exactly but I'm here if needed! Until we move my limit is 3, but if nothing else comes up I could at least function as bird sitter or something if that would help.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)

Just a straight up class act. First you offer to help me pick up Parker a couple years ago, and now here. Just A beautiful heart :)

KThom

Aug 7, 2018
@MarleyMom i live in virginia, have you figured out what you want to do? Depending on how far away you are, i would be interested in meeting Marley. I cant say i would definitely adopt her, but at the very least i could help out....... if we have a connection, i would love to adopt her. I am in northern virginia, near manassas area

KThom

Aug 7, 2018
Sorry, i am new to this forum thing, this may be a duplicate. I am in northern Virginia near manassas. If you have not found a solution, i would be interested in meeting Marley. I would be happy to help how i can and depending on how things go, might be interested in adopting marley. Thank you for your time.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Update on Marley and the family.

I went and I picked up Marley. It was a good 3 1/2 hour drive one way but totally worth it. Marley has been at my house since March and he is so much fun. He talks a lot. Whistles. Calls for the other dogs at his previous home. Meows like a cat. Just recently started whimpering like a dog. And bangs his toys around when he wants his foraging toy stuffed with pistachios. Steps up, gives me kisses, and some days he even lets me scritch him a couple of times.

The home I got him from...the father still has horrible allergies. The little girl is growing and I'm in touch with them...a lot. They know that they can have Marley back if they ever decide that is what they want.

Most Reactions

Latest posts