How to stop Apollo from barbering? It's become somewhat of an issue.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So Apollo has been barbering since I got her. I think it's a combanation of anxiety and not being able to fly adding to that anxiety. Anyhow, she's always barbered her wings noticably, but today I found a tail feather with 1/4 of the "feathery" part missing. None of my other birds barber, so it must be her. The feather also shows the signs of barbering as opposed to some sort of defect.

How do I stop this? I'm going to bring it up with the vet, but I'm worried that she'll barber her primaires when they come in, or maybe even start some minor plucking. She's barbered almost every wing and tail feather she can reach. Help!

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Have you tried giving her a tea, like chamomile? It can help calm her, reducing barbering. I hope Apollo feels better soon!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I second Chamomile tea :) It might help clam Apollo down. Hopefully you can find the cause of it and nip it in the butt!

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I don't think she'd drink that much, though. She has a lot of issues with drinking, and didn't drink for a week when I got her! I think she may have some sort of trauma surrounding water? I don't want to assume any bird has issues or trauma without knowing, but she is just VERY anxious about drinking water.

Could I sprinkle some Chamomile on her chop instead? She LOVES her chop!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I don't think she'd drink that much, though. She has a lot of issues with drinking, and didn't drink for a week when I got her! I think she may have some sort of trauma surrounding water? I don't want to assume any bird has issues or trauma without knowing, but she is just VERY anxious about drinking water.
Poor baby :( I remember when you posted about her not drinking water in February.
Could I sprinkle some Chamomile on her chop instead? She LOVES her chop!
That could work. I know it is safe for them to eat, so a little bit of it in her chop could work.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, so I found some tea bags with filled only with organic Chamomile, so I gave her some.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
It's a stumper, because you're already doing all the things I could think of 🀣

You're addressing potential/ongoing health stuff

You're feeding a varied diet

You're providing tons of free choice and space to be with flock or alone

You're providing a variety of enrichment and change it up often

That's the limit of my knowledge and experience 😝

I've also been putting dried chamomile tea in Cotton's food. He definitely was more relaxed before bedtime after starting it so in my n=1 observation it does have an effect.

One thing I've decided I need to do is to try to keep track of specific behaviors Cotton does at specific times, and try to note what happened before and after. Basically I'm trying to discover if there's a trigger I haven't thought of yet for his chewing. And also so I can see how changes affect things over time a little more black and white than just my memory.

Most Reactions

Latest posts