How to store chop

May 17, 2020
I made chop for the first time should I store it in an airtight bad in the freezer for now it's just in an ice cube tray with a lid but the lid isn't airtight. When I took out the first ice cube and defrosted it in the fridge it strong of vegetables is that normal.

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
Im not sure I would use ice cube trays. I like the idea (single servings) but not having it air tight may not be best. The best storage system I have found is Rubbermaid containers. They close airtight and keep chop fresh for several months (last batch was 9 weeks). I pull one out about 12 hours before use and put in fridge. It wonā€™t be totally thawed, but itā€™s enough that you can scoop a day or 2ā€™s worth of chop into a separate container to keep in fridge. The rest goes back to the freezer. I usually warm up the chop, especially when itā€™s still partly frozen. The biggest thing that seems to matter with our chop is moisture. If the veggies are watery, it wonā€™t keep. We towel off all the food before mixing together. Weā€™ve been doing this for several batches now and it remains fresh with good color the whole time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieChick

Dec 7, 2020
I like to make give my lovebirds 'fresh' chop everyday, I don't store it personally. Though if I were to, I'd definitely put it in an air tight container and keep it in the fridge. Make sure not to store a week's worth of food! 3-4 days at max I would say.
Thanks
:rainbow1:
:rainbow1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I make frozen chop, about 3 months worth at a time. I store it in snack sized ziploc bags. Each holds about 3 servings for my eclectus.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I make frozen chop, about 3 months worth at a time. I store it in snack sized ziploc bags. Each holds about 3 servings for my eclectus.

Same here. Although this week I ordered some dehydrated chop to test out-it will make my upcoming cross country drive MUCH easier. Bumble LOVES it, it has great stuff in it, and it gives her a little variety so I think Iā€™ll be adding it to a regular rotation.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ditto with Chris-MD and Inger - we make 3 months worth, individual baggies, air removed and sealed. THaw in microwave 25 seconds or so, and we mix either a ground up Nutraberry, Texas Freeze dry, or a bit of Zupreem mix into the serving to absorb some of the moisture. We go heavy into the hot peppers on our recipes, the hotter the better.
Water content will depend a lot on what veggies you use. Peppers have a lot of water content.

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
Same here. Although this week I ordered some dehydrated chop to test out-it will make my upcoming cross country drive MUCH easier. Bumble LOVES it, it has great stuff in it, and it gives her a little variety so I think Iā€™ll be adding it to a regular rotation.

Where do you get dehydrated chop? That sounds super convenient!

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I got mine here:

www.Christineā€™s chop shop.com

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)

I've tried it as well, I've gotten Texas Freeze Dried Naturals. I woudlnt' call it convenient - perhaps it varies by company. Mine really was just shredded/shoe-stringed carrots and greens; wasn't impressed at all and it would never make a substitute for a full meal. Mine is treated more as a topping to the chop rather than the chop-substitute I hoped it would be.

I liked the smell though, like hay/straw, very pleasant (to me).

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I've tried it as well, I've gotten Texas Freeze Dried Naturals. I woudlnt' call it convenient - perhaps it varies by company. Mine really was just shredded/shoe-stringed carrots and greens; wasn't impressed at all and it would never make a substitute for a full meal. Mine is treated more as a topping to the chop rather than the chop-substitute I hoped it would be.

I liked the smell though, like hay/straw, very pleasant (to me).

Oh the stuff I got is nice! In this pic at the top is the dehydrated ā€œgourmet blendā€, at the bottom is the dehydrated soak and serve chop, and to the right EDIT UM TO THE LEFT HAHAHA are some of the freeze dried veggies.

33096a514573e46e11fc201e6395a009.jpg

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

I got mine here:

www.Christineā€™s chop shop.com

tried this link and it didnt work :eek: would like to try chop again but had terrible experience with making my own.

Jim

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots

I got mine here:

www.Christine??[emoji769]s chop shop.com

tried this link and it didnt work :eek: would like to try chop again but had terrible experience with making my own.

Jim

Just saw this. I ordered from this place hope it works this time!

www.Christineschopshop.com

Most Reactions

Latest posts