How to tame my lovebirds

doneek

Jul 18, 2013
Hi, I have two lovebirds that I've had for about 5 years. They let me hand feed them bread through the cage, but freak out if I try to touch them or put my hand in the cage. How can I tame them to let me carry them around? Or is it too late?

mangoandtzippy

Jul 18, 2013
The UK
Parrots
2 Lovebirds - Mango and Tzippy
Have you looked at clicker and target training? If they will let you hand feed them through the cage, that might be one way you can bond further with them. Instead of using your hands to try to touch them or get them out of the cage/back into it, you could aim to get them to step-up onto a wooden perch and also off it again so you can put them back inside. I have found neither of my lovebirds likes being touched or likes hands... I accept that they are like that and work around this, as otherwise they are quite happy to hang out with me outside the cage and on my body - they just really hate hands!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
try clicker and target training and if you have had them so long im assuming you talk to them often and they see you a lot?? I suggest clipping the wings because its much easier to tame a clipped bird especially when you have two! I keep all my birds flighted though they are all tame when i get an aggressive one I clip the wings til they are tame. after their wings are clipped take them one at a time to a quiet room and have them one at a time hang out with you for a while eventually they will let you pet them but I would NOT enter their cage lovebirds are very territorial and going in their cage will make them not like you I do go in my lovies cages but they all know me and like me your birds arent tamed so dont enter their home except to get one out if absolutely necessary.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I don't know if I am allowed to post this link... sorry if I am doing something wrong, but this video was immensely helpful for me with one of our fids...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkI9PvOsjS0]Building Trust With Your Bird - YouTube[/ame]

OP
D

doneek

Jul 18, 2013
Thank you all so much! I will be trying this method as soon as possible. :)

bonbon_182

Jun 23, 2013
Clicker training looks like it really works...
I am still letting Ocean get used to me which is going great I think, it's just taking time. He will now eat millet out of my hand which he would NOT do before...

Most Reactions

Latest posts