How To Tame Two Budgies

SamRose

Sep 29, 2020
SO, I am thinking about getting a second budgie. The pair would be a girl and a boy, but I won't have any possible nesting spots in the cage. I was just wondering, is it possible to tame two budgies that live in the same cage to enjoy human interaction? Teach them to step up and everything? And how would I go about doing that?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not the greatest idea as you have no way to know if they will even like each other and if they do, you could easily end-up being the odd one out!

Setting it up so that you have a male and a female may help in there liking each other, but just because you do not provide a nesting place will not assure they will not mate. Unlike chickens, budgies are not hardwired to survive and you will likely have to feed the chicks, which is a 24 hour a day requirement.

If you really have to have another Budgie, get the same sex that way you eliminate the issue of mating.

Taming become more than twice as difficult!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Agreed. The way to tame a single budgie is not to get a second one. Once tamed, really tamed, then it's time to think about if YOU want a second parrot, not if he needs a little friend, which often does not work out

Most Reactions