How to tell genuine agression from play fighting

Eralus

Oct 20, 2020
Media
First a little bit of backstory, I don't know if this information is important so apologies if I ramble.

I have had a male GCC (Edgar) for a few months, unknown age as he was a rescue. He has bonded with me quite strongly and he is very affectionate with me but far less so with most other people, and occasionally a bit aggressive with my partner.

We recently brought home another GCC (Alan), at this moment I believe he is roughly 20 weeks old (Got him at about 14 weeks old). Very cuddly with both me and my partner. Can be very nippy at times, but generally quite affectionate.

Now my issue...we have been introducing the two conures over the past few weeks and, being unfamiliar with conure behavior, are having difficulty telling the difference between genuine aggression and the "Play Fighting" Conures are known for. Edgar will regularly lunge towards Alan when they are close together, and if he manages to get a hold of him Alan starts squealing. We have them out together under supervision so whenever this happens we separate them, but as far as I can tell, Edgar has never actually harmed Alan. So I'm not sure if this is them trying to play or not, and if I'm actually hurting things by separating them.

There have been a few incidents of Edgar trying to Preen Alan, and once Alan gave Edgar a very short preen on his head while he was dozing off in my hand. This is gone well a couple of times, once with Edgar even cleaning Alan's feet without issue. But I think Edgar has been a bit rough a few times and as a result, Alan seems to get worried when Edgar gets near him lately. Alan actively runs away most times and dodges out of the way when Edgar runs towards him.

In spite of this, Alan will still often voluntarily approach Edgar when he sees him playing or dozing, but will quickly back off if Edgar makes a move towards him. Edgar managed to knock over and roll out a Toilet tissue roll today, so I gave him the pile to play with before I took it away. I took a video of Alan's attempt to join in and have attached two clips from it here.

Is anyone able to help me out with this? I've read in some places that separating conures that are play fighting can harm their relationship as they won't learn each other's limits. But I'm very cautious because I don't want Alan to get hurt and I honestly can't tell if this is normal, or if Edgar is being genuinely aggressive. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20211222_122154_001.mp4
    4.8 MB
  • 20211222_122231_001.mp4
    7.3 MB

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I look forward to reading answers on this question.
I have two Green cheek amazons and I always worry .
My Luna tends to "Cry wolf". She is oversensitive about being touched and a gentle bite on the tail feathers is enough to make her scream.
My best guess is this.

If it was a for real attack you could not stop it in time. These birds move super fast when they want to.

Maybe it's like cats fighting. When cats are play fighting they don't move very fast.
When they fight for real it's so fast all you see is fur flying out in clumps .

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Blood. The difference is blood. At least with Salty it is. He gives one warning medium bite (no blood) and then the real deal (blood). I learned that difference real quick!

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Eralus,
This is actual fighting/aggression. The two need to be separated and not allowed to directly interact. Over time once both settled in, Edgar may come around, but right now he is insecure and does not wish you to share affection with another bird. He is absolutely capable of severely injuring Alan.
(Love love love your bird names!)
Best wishes and good luck!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Sorry I didn’t realize you had video.
yess that is aggressive behavior.
I think you need to go back a step or two.
Just let them stay next to each other in adjacent cage’s gradually putting them closer.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Also something that worked with my budgies was letting one out and letting them explore while the other one is in the cage and alternating for a couple weeks so they can be around each other but not trying to kill each other.

OP
E

Eralus

Oct 20, 2020
Media
Sorry I didn’t realize you had video.
yess that is aggressive behavior.
I think you need to go back a step or two.
Just let them stay next to each other in adjacent cage’s gradually putting them closer.
Hi Eralus,
This is actual fighting/aggression. The two need to be separated and not allowed to directly interact. Over time once both settled in, Edgar may come around, but right now he is insecure and does not wish you to share affection with another bird. He is absolutely capable of severely injuring Alan.
(Love love love your bird names!)
Best wishes and good luck!
Thank you and everyone else for the input. At the moment Alan is housed in a cage inside and Edgar is housed outside in a makeshift aviary setup with Poe (My Ringneck) as they get along quite well. We have another cage arriving next month so we can have them all indoors at night when it gets cold again.

Once this new cage gets here, I'll take the above suggestions and start having them in cages side by side daily and go from there. Does anyone have any suggestions for when to start the out-of-cage interactions again and how best to handle it?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As stated is aggression. Birds don't play fight. Birds that are friends can do minor beak squabbles to settle stuff. When friends do that they don't bite or chase is over in a second or two and both go back to what they are doing . Any bites lunging going after toes, chasing, flapping wings is a real fight.
This nest of paper is a big problem. Its causing hormonal , and nest guards . Its a trigger

Most Reactions