How to tell the difference between plucking and moulting?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello everyone, I need some help.

I suspect Griffen is plucking his feathers. This morning I found feathers spread all over the floor belonging to Griffen. I assumed it's just because he is going through a tiny moult, but when I saw him preening, he looked a bit bare, and it appeared that he was a bit harsh on his feathers.

If he is plucking, the first thing that come to mind that would cause it is either a lack of stimulation(my cages are a bit empty, and some days I get too busy to let them out of their cage) or diet(I don't give chop enough anymore... have been very busy, and I am dealing with a lot of things.)

I haven't seen him pulling any feathers from his body, but I suspect he does. It is hard for me to tell.

Is anyone able to offer advice? Thanks in advance.

Anè

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Plucking commonly is in very specific areas that with time can become larger bare spots, than to large areas depending on the Parrot. Understand that each Parrot is very different and there is no way to know whether your Parrot will target a small area or continue to expand.

Molting tends to be General Large areas (with the exception of the head and flight surfaces). It also tends to be a type of feathers depending on time of year. Coming into Summer is commonly downy feathers where pre-Hormonal Season tend to be body feathers.

If you are leaning toward it being Plucking the changes you made to their lifestyle 'could' be a driver and you need to attempt to return to you being more involved. Also, a small percentage of Plucking is caused by a Bacteria, which an Avian Vet could take skin samples and test for.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
Sometimes during heavy moulting it's normal to see a bit bare skin - right now this is happening to Zenek and it is in a place where he isn't able to pluck his feathers

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Plucking commonly is in very specific areas that with time can become larger bare spots, than to large areas depending on the Parrot. Understand that each Parrot is very different and there is no way to know whether your Parrot will target a small area or continue to expand.
It appears that it is mostly under the wings/back, but I can see some bare spots on his breast.
Molting tends to be General Large areas (with the exception of the head and flight surfaces). It also tends to be a type of feathers depending on time of year. Coming into Summer is commonly downy feathers where pre-Hormonal Season tend to be body feathers.
It is going into summer now. He is mostly picking feathers and not down.
If you are leaning toward it being Plucking the changes you made to their lifestyle 'could' be a driver and you need to attempt to return to you being more involved. Also, a small percentage of Plucking is caused by a Bacteria, which an Avian Vet could take skin samples and test for.
I am trying to improve their lifestyle. Life's just very busy right now and I am mentally and physically tired most of the time. I have put in effort to cleaning their room more often. Still not perfect, but better than before.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sometimes during heavy moulting it's normal to see a bit bare skin - right now this is happening to Zenek and it is in a place where he isn't able to pluck his feathers
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Griffen is not having a rough molt at all, I only see a few pins. Maybe it is possible in a small moult.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am wondering if sudden humidity and heat triggered his plucking, because it is almost summer and weather is changing a lot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts