How to train IRP to take scritches

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
Is it even possible. Mine is still very much wary of my hand unless i ask him to step up. Then he is ok. If I approach from top than he is Leary. Any advice? Keep in mind he is only 5 months old. Thanks.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I wouldn't approach from. The top as he may view that as predator trying to eat him (danger).

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
I wouldn't approach from. The top as he may view that as predator trying to eat him (danger).

My bird has no problem stepping up or being on my shoulder. It was like that from the moment I saw him/her. But still doesn’t seem to like my hand or fingers near his head unless he is faced away from me then I can scratch his neck and head. I think I just need to keep working with him. I think he will get it but then again some birds don’t like scritches no matter what lol.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011

Thank you so much... I love this little fella lol...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you can kiss your bird you may be able to pet him with your nose. When I was a kid my parakeets learned that nose rubs felt good and then some allowed me to rub their head with my fingers.

OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
If you can kiss your bird you may be able to pet him with your nose. When I was a kid my parakeets learned that nose rubs felt good and then some allowed me to rub their head with my fingers.
That’s exactly what I have been doing with my nose and kissing too. He is pretty receptive to it.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think he will continue to come around and maybe you will end up with a gorgeous little snuggle bug. Willow is right now sitting on his basket a couple inches from my cheek so he can groom me if he wants. He smells nice today! Kind of like plants or clean line-dried sheets.

E5997E4F-3F5F-40D5-8B3D-5D5D77A8E2C4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
A

Antmf

Feb 14, 2011
I think he will continue to come around and maybe you will end up with a gorgeous little snuggle bug. Willow is right now sitting on his basket a couple inches from my cheek so he can groom me if he wants. He smells nice today! Kind of like plants or clean line-dried sheets.
Awesome. Can’t wait for home or her to finally settle in.

Most Reactions