huey's nut mix (not mine)

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Got this off facebook, might make it tomorrow:

Huey’s Nutty Mix
A warm and satisfying, quick cooking mix for your feathered buddies.

I buy all of the ingredients at the local food co-op or health food shop. All, except the “Just Veggies” are sold in bulk allowing me to purchase only the amounts needed for my recipe.

In a storage container with tight fitting lid, or a large Ziploc bag, combine the following ingredients:

1/2 cup small vegetable pasta ( like small shells)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup millet
1/4 cup cous cous
1/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup roasted (unsalted) almonds, chopped
1/4 cup “Just Veggies” brand freeze dried veggie mix.
1/8 cup vegetable soup seasoning (no or low salt)***{I(boabab95) won't add this, as i'm not sure it's 100% safe}***

Store dry mix in the refrigerator or freezer.

To prepare:

Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of dry mix. Stir, return to boil then reduce to low and cook about 4-5 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender. Cool slightly, serve warm OR -better yet, I like to add some frozen mixed vegetables to the mix as soon as it is done and still very hot. The frozen veggies thaw while cooling the mix. Birds get their favorite warm treat and a healthy serving of vegetables too!

Bacteria grows very quickly on fresh soft, and especially cooked foods. Never leave uneaten soft foods in the cage for more than 4 hours - less on warm days.

Store cooked mix in refrigerator no more than 1-2 days, or freeze.

Depending on the number of birds you have you may wish to double or even triple the ingredients.

Nutty Mix cooked with frozen mixed vegetables added.

Buster taste testing the recipe!

Huey's Nutty Mix before cooking.

Last edited:
OP
boabab95

boabab95

Jun 21, 2010
Southern Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Maroon-Bellied Conure
Now for some questions:

1. Can I use Quinoa instead of couscous???
2. Can I use Whole wheat pasta instead of vegetable pasta???

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Both of those substitutions should be fine. Quinoa is a grain so it's probably better than couscous anyway (couscous is pasta). And the veggie pasta is probably just a taste preference for someone.

I make a cooked food for our birds...but it always has different stuff in it so I don't have any set recipe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts