Hurting my ears!!

adrinori

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Ringneck
parrotlets
cocketeil
peachface
Hi im new to ringneck keeping and am handraising a baby male. So far its been great but im wondering is it normal for him to always be squakking and so loud it makes my ears ring when his on my shoulder and bopping his head up and down even after being fed, its like a constant thing. No judgement please as im just asking and am new to this. Just needing advice and if there is anything i can do to reduce it or will he just grow out of it.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I have an African Ringneck whose normal voice is a little different than an IRN, and I got him as an adult - but - he looooves watching baby ringneck videos and that constant chatter and head bobbing seems super common :)

My guess (never having had a baby ringneck myself) from your description is that it's a lot of baby chatter and he'll start to use his voice differently as he gets older. That doesn't mean he'll get quieter overall, though ;) I can hear mine down the street when he's really chatty, and my neighbor's dog knows his alarm call even through closed windows 🚨 He definitely picks and chooses when he's loud though so I almost never get loud squawks when I'm right there.

Again welcome!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you want to minimize the loud ringing calls, respond to your bird so he knows you’ve heard him and doesn’t keep making the same loud noise.

For example, say “hi, Ringo” or “it’s ok, bird” when he calls loudly. Then he won’t have to repeat it in hopes that you will answer.

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Hi im new to ringneck keeping and am handraising a baby male. So far its been great but im wondering is it normal for him to always be squakking and so loud it makes my ears ring when his on my shoulder and bopping his head up and down even after being fed, its like a constant thing. No judgement please as im just asking and am new to this. Just needing advice and if there is anything i can do to reduce it or will he just grow out of it.
I have two females and they do this in the morning, after eating and again in the afternoon, just prior to dinner. I think it's just an IRN thing. If they are on my shoulder and they do this I quickly say no and take them off my shoulder - yes it does really hurt.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Coincidentally, I just bought a sound level meter and I measured my IRN from 2 meters distance at 103 decibels. That calculates to 135 decibels at 5cm, which he has on occasion screamed into my ear from my shoulder.

In general, my IRN is usually quiet when I'm home other than joyful gutteral sounds, honks, and similar mild sounds. He will give a couple loud calls when he hears me come home because I will come to him, let him out of the cage, and give him a treat. If something happened or his favorite food is out, he will scream repeatedly until he gets what he wants. He'll also call a couple times when in the kitchen making food, because he wants some.

Most Reactions