Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Anyone who has birds knows how much fun moulting is, so I thought Iā€™d share with those that would ā€œget itā€. My Bessie-chicken does a tremendous job when she decides itā€™s time to get a new coat.

Itā€™s become a tradition. Every year in early to mid-December I walk into the barn and find a literal mound of black and white feathers....I proceed to have a panic attack thinking that something has taken my favorite girl. Then I go looking and find an ā€œalmost nakedā€ Bessie running around the barn.

Most birds blow their feathers in moderation, but Bessie does it all in a single night...at the coldest time of the year. Sheā€™s 6 years old and Iā€™ve had her since she was a baby and she does this to me EVERY YEAR. Sheā€™s lucky that I adore her - that rush of panic and dread is my least favourite thing.

A couple of shots below for those that want to check out her December ā€œlookā€, sheā€™s about a week past bald now and is sporting a few pin feathers.

8zqv4Uv.jpg

25405d1608244681-i-always-feel-bad-her-my-favorite-girl-5688e7d4-2a21-41e7-916c-92aaaaf51120.jpg

Attachments

• 3A07206E-03E8-42D4-B12A-1FAF3271A303.jpg
    3A07206E-03E8-42D4-B12A-1FAF3271A303.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 5688E7D4-2A21-41E7-916C-92AAAAF51120.jpg
    5688E7D4-2A21-41E7-916C-92AAAAF51120.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh, poor girl! That's a lot of pins! It looks so itchy. :( Haven't had ours long enough for a big seasonal molt yet, but I hope they don't try that here. They'd freeze to death! It's been miserable cold here this week- single digits overnight. Our girls hardly come out of the coop when it's like this, although I think it's more because of the snow. They really hate cold, wet feet. I don't blame them!

I see why Bessie is your favorite, she's gorgeous!

OP
Jen5200

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
In all fairness, she really is a pretty chicken and one of the most people-oriented of my flock. She is one of two that I have that will fly to me and perch on my arm like a parrot. Sheā€™s also an avid gardener and loves to ā€œhelpā€ with weeding. She still lays an egg almost every day at 6 years old (except when sheā€™s moulting).

25408d1608246927-i-always-feel-bad-her-my-favorite-girl-5212692e-7865-460c-837a-5cfaf3a4f6c5.jpg

Attachments

• 5212692E-7865-460C-837A-5CFAF3A4F6C5.jpg
    5212692E-7865-460C-837A-5CFAF3A4F6C5.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow. Exploding with pins, must be so uncomfortable ....and chilly...
But I agree pretty girl. Maybe a throw back picture in full feather?

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Poor Bessie....she is adorable. My chooks never have such severe molts. We've kept Isa Browns in the past and now have Australorp and Australorp/Hamburg cross, all with minimal molt. Is Bessie's severe molt common to her breed?

OP
Jen5200

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Poor Bessie....she is adorable. My chooks never have such severe molts. We've kept Isa Browns in the past and now have Australorp and Australorp/Hamburg cross, all with minimal molt. Is Bessie's severe molt common to her breed?

Sheā€™s my only barred rock chicken, so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a breed trait or just a Bessie thing. I have a variety of breeds and sheā€™s the only one that molts like this. Everyone else does it with a bit more dignity :). On the upside - she does it fast....no molting for weeks on end for her!

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Perhaps some extra hay/mulch on the floor will keep her a little warmer until she gets her feathers back?? How about a little extra protein in her diet as well?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
What a stunning girl Bessie is, but I can quite see how that huge moult would scare the living daylights out of you!

OP
Jen5200

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Perhaps some extra hay/mulch on the floor will keep her a little warmer until she gets her feathers back?? How about a little extra protein in her diet as well?

Oh definitely - she tends to sleep in the nest boxes when she is bald, probably because they are warmer and full of wood shavings (I have chickens and turkeys so big and little nest boxes are available). I feed lots of grubs and scrambled eggs to up their protein during this time :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It takes huge energy stores to undergo such a huge molt. Clearly she is one healthy girl.
Keep taps on her molt in the future watching for any slowing in return of pin feathers.
This winter has had huge swings in temperature not to mention the Nor-eastern that has had its way with New England -- a special prayer for those digging out...

I can see why you love your favorite 'pretty' girl!!!

OP
Jen5200

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
It takes huge energy stores to undergo such a huge molt. Clearly she is one healthy girl.
Keep taps on her molt in the future watching for any slowing in return of pin feathers.
This winter has had huge swings in temperature not to mention the Nor-eastern that has had its way with New England -- a special prayer for those digging out...

I can see why you love your favorite 'pretty' girl!!!

She is a healthy girl and has always come through it well. Iā€™m pretty fastidious about upping the protein and making sure that they get veggies and other goodies in addition to their feed. Thankfully weā€™ve had pretty moderate temps this year on the west coast - last year it was really cold when she dumped her feathers. I will definitely continue to watch her regrowth, as she gets older I do worry that she could be less resilient.

Most Reactions

Latest posts