I am new to this and I want to know the following things.

meshal

May 13, 2023
Parrots
one, not sure the breed tho
My parrot is trying to shake some of his feathers to get rid of them and he even appears to either ask me to help him or simply to pet him where he points(Was really surprised with his intelligence, really cool), the thing is i am afraid i will do it wrong and hurt him instead, is there a brush mean to be used on parrots or birds in general? second, how do i get my parrot to trust me enough to let me hold him, he sometimes stand on my hand but doesn't let me hold him, he bites me until i get my hands away from him(not hard, it doesn't give me any pain at all). also is there a guide where i can find information that might be helpful to me as a new parrot owner?.
thanks

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
I believe you can find all the answers you need on this site and don't necessarily need a guide or a book, although I've collected many.

Your bird just wants a scritch or even help preening. and you could maybe search those terms and see what you find. No special tools needed and he will probably tell you when you are doing it wrong.

If he gets on your hand you are doing great so far!
Now you just have to get him to trust you more and more and make him know that he can always look to you for safety and love and all good things.

If you provide a picture someone on this site will help you figure out the species too.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My parrot is trying to shake some of his feathers to get rid of them and he even appears to either ask me to help him or simply to pet him where he points(Was really surprised with his intelligence, really cool), the thing is i am afraid i will do it wrong and hurt him instead, is there a brush mean to be used on parrots or birds in general? second, how do i get my parrot to trust me enough to let me hold him, he sometimes stand on my hand but doesn't let me hold him, he bites me until i get my hands away from him(not hard, it doesn't give me any pain at all). also is there a guide where i can find information that might be helpful to me as a new parrot owner?.
thanks
If he's not doing it already, your parrot may feel more comfortable if he gets regular opportunities to bathe, which really just means splashing around in clear clean water. The kitchen sink (cleaned and rinsed thoroughly first) is a great place for a larger parrot to play in the running water and a cat watering fountain is terrific for a smaller parrot. My budgie LOVES splashing around in his cat fountain.
The only time I helped my budgie groom herself using a brush was when she was a baby getting her first feathers and had pinfeathers all over her head and body. I bought a very soft toothbrush and gently brushed her head and neck where she couldn't easily reach to help open the sheaths for her. She's six months old now and very tame but I don't think she would appreciate the help now. Many birds, especially small ones like budgies, don't like to be touched that much.
If your parrot likes to have its head scratched just use your fingertips- no brush needed!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Especially when pin feathers come out batheing is best way to avoid thier itchiness.

My birds love this thing I recently bought and stopped bathing in water bowls....

1684279210029.png

Its big enough for even a sun conure or quaker.

OP
M

meshal

May 13, 2023
Parrots
one, not sure the breed tho
alright will try to make him have a good place to have a bath in. he is a congo African gray i think

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
alright will try to make him have a good place to have a bath in. he is a congo African gray i think
Why don’t you post a picture of him? So we can help confirm what species he is.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
oh for a bigger bird i'd use this

1684357806164.png

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
the one I posted before is to small for a grey.

Most Reactions

Latest posts