I am not looking forward to going back to work on Monday.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I've been off this week and it's been a wonderful time with Albie (and hubby of course :p)

I feel like Albie and I have bonded alot more over this week as he's been super sweet and snuggly and just really well behaved (no biting at all this week with either of us, coming immediately when called, goes back In His cage with out messing about) I bought him some new toys this week which he has already started to destroy so I think I'll need to take photos and ask my boss to get me more of them (they come from a professional pet supplies wholesalers) as he seems to really like these new ones.

I don't want to go back to work cuz he's going to turn in to a stroppy bitey tiny terror who is going to be mad at me for the foreseeable future. I'm loving the sweet cute well behaved albie!

I wish I could explain to him that I have to go so that I can provide him with his yummy dinners, taste treats and fun toys. It's almost as bad as leaving your baby at nursery! I've never felt this way before as my dog would come to work with me, with Albie, it simply wouldn't be safe to do so. I wish I could just stay home with him.

Any one else feel like this with their birds? Or am I being a special snow flake who needs to get a grip?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes- always. Teach him the days of the week, and use the same phrasing when you go to work (because it is a schedule and helps them with anticipation). My bird knows Saturday and Sunday are weekend days lol. I always say "today is_______ tomorrow is ____________". Use the same words enough, and they will notice the pattern and make the association.

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
I'm really privileged in that I'm only obligated to go to the office one day a week. I miss the hell of of my boys when I have to go in. The rest of the time, I work from home, feet away from them at all times and they really love it.

Noodles123, I didn't know that! Gonna try it with Gus and Homer...

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have loved my old Rickeybird through thick and thin... college... work... marriages... jobs... retirement... illnesses...

Thank you for this wonderful thread.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
No youre not a "Flake" Stitch,I would be the same. Connie hates it if we go out for a couple of hours,and we have a massive greeting when we get back, lots of flock calling.
Albie will miss you of course,but I think he'll be over the moon when you come home.
Unlike cats who can ignore you for going on holiday!

Good advice Noodles, I started the word association a few months back,and she can now anticipate whats coming,she knows "night night"and gets in place for her sunflower seed before being covered,also "do you want to come out" and shes there hanging on the door! Lots of other words she understands even if she cant say them yet.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I traveled extensively prior to retiring and had followed the recommendation of a fellow traveler in building an understanding of time and place with our Amazons.

Enjoying golf and as a result having a golf ball display case with a bit over 30 slots for the balls makes an easy display of a month worth of travel. I would set balls into the days that I would be traveling, this allows a visual means of understanding the concept of time and days. So as a travel period arrived, I would talk to our Amazon about my traveling and when I would return. As stated above using the same words is a strong key to success.

During one travel event, my dear wife found our Amazon was removing golf balls to shorten my travel. I had surgery this week and we had set-up the golf ball display to show a two day trip, well my stay time was extended a day, our Amazon was not happy when a golf ball was added to the 'away' time.

Providing them an understanding of work schedule and out and away time is just as easy as covered above. With so many individuals at home build away time is so very important as our Parrots become quickly adjusted to our being around, but have more difficulty with us being away. So, for those who are faced with returning to work, building away time into their day is important.

For us Humans, being away from our feathered family members is also difficult. Building away time into our schedule helps us as well. That walk or run, and/or other out and about time is important for us.

Monday, Monday, the start of another week and a change in activities.

FYI: Always remember to greet your feathered master with joy and happiness when you come home. They are Number One after you open the door!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Definitely not a snowflake! Our beloved parrot companions mean so much to us!!

I also traveled extensively before retirement and found structure helpful to me and flock. We know parrots have some sense of time but unsure how they contemplate during captivity. Spending extra time with Albie on weekends may prove helpful to get through each week of routine.

Ekkietiel

Sep 5, 2020
Charleston, SC
Parrots
Charlie (Ekkie), Boop & Pongo (Cockatiels)
You’re not weird for worrying about leaving to go to work. I’d imagine it’s a struggle for most bird owners. My wife and I are nurses who only work 3 days a week, but they’re long days. We always go in and ask to leave early so we’re able to get home to our Charlie as soon as possible. We leave the TV on for him, and have a massive cage with toys to keep him busy. As soon as we get home we have a routine that he’s familiar with. He only gets upset when we deviate from the routine. It’s a daily struggle for us to not be home with our birds, so know you’re not alone.

Most Reactions