I am worried! Are these mites on my budgie?

Kunker

Aug 27, 2021
Parrots
Budgies
Today I noticed my budgies cere and feet have scaly skin on them. Upon closer inspection there are tiny holes on the cere. What is this??

Attachments

• 1BF88799-34A6-40BF-A3EF-1E25F7B85BE9.jpeg
    1BF88799-34A6-40BF-A3EF-1E25F7B85BE9.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 777
  • 859E02FF-7A8F-422D-8675-143A6CAAAB3C.jpeg
    859E02FF-7A8F-422D-8675-143A6CAAAB3C.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 2122E234-6275-4EC6-B980-943802DBD7E6.jpeg
    2122E234-6275-4EC6-B980-943802DBD7E6.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 254

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would take them to a vet for a professional opinion but it looks like scaly mites which are relatively common for budgies to get

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
it doesn't exactly look like mites... but something is wrong as the beak should be shiny and not pitted. Females ceres can look weird to me. Could be a fungal or bacteria infection.. just not right for sure.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Looks like the start of Scaly face mite. There’s a product called Vetafarm Avimec which is very effective against scaly face and other mites. Start treatment as soon as possible

OP
K

Kunker

Aug 27, 2021
Parrots
Budgies
Thanks I took them all to a vet today. The vet injected ivermectin. I thoroughly cleaned the cage and disinfected it in a separate room with alcohol 70%. I burned all the old toys and perches since they all had wood in them (The mites could burrow into the wood). Until they are healthy I have put in 3 plastic perches a plastic toy and food/water bowls from metal since they all are easy to disinfect.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
excellent!!!! You have your work cut out for you. But sounds like you are up to the challenge!!! You are a great parront!! Lucky little birdies!!

TinyHumanGiant

Apr 1, 2021
Yes, definitely the beginning of scaly face mites. I have treated quite a few budgies with this condition. In addition to the ivermectin what seems to work well is to use a q-tip to smear the infested areas with petroleum jelly (vasoline). It makes the bird look like a mess, especially when you have to apply it around the cere, but keep on it every day. It essentially suffocated the mites, and in a week or so, the scaley bits will start to flake and peel off, with tender fresh pink skin underneath. This seems to work really well, and most birds make a full recovery.

To keep this from happening again though, you need to deep clean the birds whole environment, and maybe dispose of/replace/possibly treat with vegetable oil any natural wood stuff, since that's where the mites seem to hide out.

TinyHumanGiant

Apr 1, 2021
Yes, definitely the beginning of scaly face mites. I have treated quite a few budgies with this condition. In addition to the ivermectin what seems to work well is to use a q-tip to smear the infested areas with petroleum jelly (vasoline). It makes the bird look like a mess, especially when you have to apply it around the cere, but keep on it every day. It essentially suffocated the mites, and in a week or so, the scaley bits will start to flake and peel off, with tender fresh pink skin underneath. This seems to work really well, and most birds make a full recovery.

To keep this from happening again though, you need to deep clean the birds whole environment, and maybe dispose of/replace/possibly treat with vegetable oil any natural wood stuff, since that's where the mites seem to hide out.
Sorry, just read you already burned the wooden stuff and disinfected everything else.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Awesome progress so far - looking great! Wishing your little one a full recovery! :)

Most Reactions