I could use some advise

Beegee

Jan 30, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
I recently acquired a 30 year old blue and gold macaw who I am having trouble understanding where he stands with me. I sit beside him everyday and talk to him he also takes treats from me through the cage but still acts afraid if I open the cage or try to get him to step up he will try to bite me and I’m unsure of how to make him more comfortable and trusting with me. Any and all advise is appreciated

OP
B

Beegee

Jan 30, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
He also will grab the cage with his beak if I try to get him to step up

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This is normal-- how long have you had him, how much sleep does he get nightly, what is he eating and how often is he out of the cage?

This is not a rhetorical question- it is genuine, so please don' take offense. What is your experience with parrots, historically?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forums!! Thanks for taking a re homed parrot!

If he was kept always caged before, they can become cage bound. Have an extreme fear of leaving the cage. Truly terrible like PTSD....

It can take time , effort, confidence building, to get them past this. Provide tons if enrichment. Attach all sorts of stuff to tge outside, perches toys, nets, treats, and see if he will come out on his own.

8 also try abd associate myself with all postive behavior they do on their own. When they eat I say good birdie, if they touch a toy, take a bath, as they fall asleep I say good birdie.. they learn what good means, and they association with me for good things.

I have some article on cage bound I will look for. This is a good one on stress reduction.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

This one might be helpful
https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/2018/06/19/teaching-a-fearful-parrot-to-step-up/

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/cageboundbirds.html

Last edited:

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
I recently acquired a 30 year old blue and gold macaw who I am having trouble understanding where he stands with me. I sit beside him everyday and talk to him he also takes treats from me through the cage but still acts afraid if I open the cage or try to get him to step up he will try to bite me and I’m unsure of how to make him more comfortable and trusting with me. Any and all advise is appreciated
Welcome Beegee (are you Australian or a fan from elsewhere??? LOL). Check out the Macaw forum, heaps of expert info. As previously asked, are you experienced with parrots, birds, Macaws etc? It helps so that we don't respond with info that you already know. Follow the links for Bite pressure and bonding...let us know if you have other specific questions. Don't force the bonding. When we brought home both of our birds we moved at their pace and comfort level...kudos for taking in an old bird needing a new home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
B

Beegee

Jan 30, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Thank you all and I have had him for around 3 months now and this is my first macaw but I have had experience with many parrots while working in a sanctuary but this is the first macaw I have ever owned. Also he will get out on his own he enjoys running all over the top of the cage and climbing down to the table and back up he will go in and out by himself and will spend approximately 2 hours out. He also does well with stepping up on a perch in most situations. I just want to make sure I build a strong trusting relationship with him. Thank you all

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
It sounds like you are already doing this, but make sure he is allowed to go in and out most of the time without getting locked up (if you are home etc). That way, if you do have to lock him up, he won't anticipate or try to avoid it under the assumption that he gets locked up whenever he goes into his cage.

think of what he loves the most (be it music, food, attention from a specific person, peace and quiet, whatever) and make sure that you associate yourself with that thing (and present him with preferred items/foods/people/activities etc when he does something you like.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
While reading this Forum, sit along side your Mac and in a soft comfortable voice read it out loud, it helps him become comfortable with you.

It sounds like the both of you are doing well with each other. Sometimes things just do not seem to b moving along at a pace you expect. Take the expectations and dump them as they will only interfere with the real progress.

One of our Mac Pros stats that Mac's love to be with their people! You just need to spend the effort and time in providing your Mac the assurance that he needs that your Okay!

Their past is alway a question and hands can be a problem as some questionable jerk may have used their hands to inflict punishment, etc... So, Only Good Things Happen when Humans are Around and that is double for your hands...

At some point your Mac and you will click and your greatest problem is dealing with a very happy Mac...

As said so very well above: Move at the rate excepted by your Mac...

OP
B

Beegee

Jan 30, 2021
Ohio
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
Thank you all. My main thing was making sure I wasn’t damaging any trust there may have been or doing things wrong. Also I hear of birds having preferences of certain genders I was unsure if that may have been something to look into. But I will keep it up and try to progress a little slower but with lots of time thanks all

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
gender can impact this- I have heard a lot of people say that 2 female budgies are more likely to fight but obviously there are exceptions

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Beegee One thing I would try is put a perch on the inside of the cage door. This way you can get him to sit on that perch and feed him through the cage after he get use to sitting on that perch slowly open the cage and give him a treat. Once you give him the treat close the door. When you first open the door, open it just enough so you can give him the treat. Each time open it a little more. Once you can open it where there is no cage between you and him give him a treat and talk to him. Don't try and get him to step up. All you want to do is get him use to having no cage between you and him. After a couple of treats close the door and give him a few hrs with you just talking to him as you walk by his cage and give him a treat as you do a walk by. You want him to understand that you opening the cage doesn't mean you are going to try and take him out.

Most Reactions