I crashed

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
We had some severe weather (thunderstorms and a tornado) here on Monday. To some people that may not seem too bad, but if you live in Maine it's bad because you are never prepared for this kinda weather (especially tornadoes)
Anyway, I was on my way home, it was my last day of work before my 12 day vacation. I was barely even raining when I left the building. I was on the interstate, it started pouring and I could barely see out the windshield. I saw flashing flights a little ways ahead of me, but I didn't see the parked car on the road until I was too close, since it didn't have lights on. (Dark, raining, no lights on, of course I couldn't see it) I could either hit the vehicle, or try to quickly switch lanes, little did I know that I would lose control of the car while switching lanes. I moved lanes so quickly that I just swerved and hit a guardrail, I hit another one before finally coming to a stop. The filled with smoke, I put the windows down as I tried to collect myself and waited for traffic to clear so I could get out. I know it's not a good idea to move after that bad of an accident, but I couldn't stay in the car, and I was mostly unharmed. I went to the ither side of the car to get my phone off the floor, the passenger door was jammed, but persistence payed off and I got it open just enough for me to reach in and grab it. Those flashing lights I mentioned, an ambulance that decided to stop for the vehicle to make sure they were ok (I was told that someone was seen fleeing the scene, no one was found in the car) and they had seen me crash. It wasn't long before cops showed up (again, there for the other vehicle, but since I crashed they also had to check out my situation and get my info) My parents came to pick me up and the car was towed away. The follow morning we are told that it's totaled.
I have a picture of the car from the morning after the crash, if anyone would like to see it.
I relied on that car to get me to my destination safely everyday, and, although it didn't get home, I did, so I would say that it did it's job. I may have bruises on my knees, my wrist, and a scrape on my neck from the seat belt, but I got home safely. It was a good first car, handled well even in the winter. Shame it's gone now.
We'll be using the insurance money to get a new one, this one will actually be in my name and I'll be paying monthly for it for a few years. Unfortunately we don't know when we'll be getting the money, so we don't know when I'm getting the car, so I don't have a car for the time being. I have gotten over it for the most part, but I will not be taking the interstate home anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Glad you're alright. Always gotta be weary of bad weather, never overdrive your visual range. Learn a lesson, move on!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow, that's scary! First off, I'm glad you're okay. Sorry about your car, but like you said, it did it's job, and you're still in one piece. At least you're on vacation, so that buys some wiggle room in the transportation department.

Second, I noticed the Maine reference. A fellow Mainer? Sweet! There's a few of us here that I know of. Just curious, if you don't mind my asking, what part are you from?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad to know you are OK, please know aches and pains may develop the next few days. Your instinct to exit the car once a safe path is found is correct!

Sorry the car is totaled, but it gave its last for you. Hopefully the insurance company will settle quickly as there is no repair appraisal to delay. You and your parents ought get insight into fair market value prior to crash and verify the payment offered is reasonable.

Feel free to post a pic, shouldn't be out of bounds for an O/T thread.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow! Glad you are ok! Scott’s right you might get way more stuff and sore over the next few days....
Poor thing!!

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
Second, I noticed the Maine reference. A fellow Mainer? Sweet! There's a few of us here that I know of. Just curious, if you don't mind my asking, what part are you from?

I'm originally from Clifton. I don't live there anymore, just outside Bangor now.

OP
ParrotLover2001

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
This is the photo, if it shows up. IMG_1569.jpg

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Glad to hear you made it out of the crash mostly unscathed. Vehicles can be replaced..not so much people.

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts