Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hi All,

I disappeared after Hurricane Harvey. So much has gone on. First, I live in Dickinson, TX and Hurricane Harvey flooded our city, it took out a lot of homes and we were at one point on national news. To this day the city is still repairing. We were on National News for being hit. We've repaired well though!!!!!!

My Husband, myself and our pets did SO WELL!!! Our home only took on some water in the garage. Family members? Well many were heavily impacted, many family members and friends in the community, we've been busy. We volunteered, and helped family too. My fids did great. We had soooo much going on though.

Here is a summary:
1. I ended up in the ER prior to the hurricane landing. They fixed me up.
2. Our neighborhood flooded so bad our house was an island, we were blessed, only water in our garage, not much damaged.
3. Our local weather app wouldn't let us sleep due to the volume of weather issues, that was good, we were aware and vacated. Our weather app updated every few seconds of a threatening issue.
4. There was a mandatory evac for us, we got the FID TRAVEL CAGES PREPPED AND TRANSFERRED THE FIDS TO EACH OF THEIR TRAVEL CAGES.
I express this because if you have FIDS, you need this for your FIDS, individual travel cages if they do not get along!!!!! This is important.
5. All fur babies and FIDS were loaded in our vehicles, (I have a 2017 Tundra Crew Cab), we fit ALL babies in it, in travel cages and on the floor in the backseat area WONDERFULLY!!!! All travelled well, in EXTREMELY HIGH WATER, no water touched them, nor my flip flopped toes. I love flip flops!

I remember the night we got to friends', I was still under hospital care, my fids were well and happy, we covered them to calm them this includes Buddy my CCA, Buzz my CAG, and my PRINCESS VENUS, my Female Ekkie, the QUEEN!!! They did so well. I slept so hard that night, so much going on. Remember I had a personal ER event the day before.

We did so well, we were so blessed and we went out to help other family and friends. The Fids were save, high ground. Also, hurricane water is sooooo coooollllddddd, I had to be warmed. My Husband and I had to carry pets through 6 - 8 inches of COLD, FRIGID FEELING water to get fur and fids into our truck. When we got to our friends with all fur and fid babes, got them settled we passed out, so tired. We all did great.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, a warmhearted Hi to you-all!

Thank-you, for letting us know you are all well! Still waiting to hear from a few others. The Hurricanes from last Fall effect so many over a huge area.

So very happy that you are feeling better and everyone is fine!

Walking in 6" of very cold water effects the body and it takes forever to warm-up!

Any pictures?

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome back! Thank you for updating on what's been going on and what went on. It is great when community comes together to heal. Harvey left a lot of devastation and destruction. I'm glad everyone is recovering, healing and you made it out well.

Speaking on behalf of Harvey AND Irma, hoping next season is more "kinder."

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Here are pics!

Low water, it got higher.

3072f0b6e8f9de322dd81d0a1ed6f56a.jpg

Temp FID hotel at our friends. Missing Venus.
23940b897654046994b0436ca67dbd6d.jpg

My home.
2b75476ab187db7f6b3ee421c18f40dc.jpg

My brother in law’s house, a mile away.
2fd3156781cd72cee5abd2cb7a463025.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
More pics.

When we were evacuating, we couldn’t leave this spot without flooding our vechicles, fur babies or fids.

24287ab0c6fe8848a46354fdf02441fe.jpg

This pic is from our land lord, he told us to stay away, the water was too high to get through.
b68d30cacda71635ff78e8df3b009f52.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wow, living on a channel must be expensive. :D Yaaa, a bit funny now, but not than! That just has to mess with one's head.

We live in a high area of our city, which can be a bit of a pain in the Winter and very happy for that when I see water lapping at one's door!

Thank-you for the photos!

Warm Feather Hugs! Venus is missed here also.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow, you are a survivor! Glad you checked in, amazing pics of something you will hopefully never again experience.

Planning and preparation are so important for our fids and feathered companions.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Omg Tracey! How super scary to have to go through all that. I”m so glad to hear you guys were so fortunate and you’re better now. Wishing all the best to your family members and community too.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
The worst night, we stayed with friends but we had to park our vehicles on high ground. I had to cover my fids to keep them calm. We were one of four families staying with our friends, they bussed us to our vehicles when needed. We were so blessed.

We had other family in trouble. Facebook was a lifesaver and ended up being a priority communication device. We kept track and conversed with family that way since cell signal was bad.

The day before the worst day I ended up in the ER, two days in a row. I design and maintain medical systems regarding revenue so I had no problem going, I was feeling so bad, didn’t care about money. While in the ER, I observed other families, we all had it hard but we all did good. I took snacks to the ER staff after Hurricane Harvey was gone. If you want to thank medical staff take them food!!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts