Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
So Berry’s breeder was uncertain of her exact hatch date when I got her in October 2017. He said that she was 4 months old at the time. Shall I just deem June her hatch month? [emoji23]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, indeed! That's what I had to do with Maya. Took a little leg work, as I had to go back into old threads (she was originally with member BreakinNewz under the name Athena), see where her age at the time was mentioned, and then figure out her approximate hatch date. Once I realized it was around the end of February, 2013, I decided it was officially on the 28th.

Worst scenario you'd just be shorting her by a few days. She (probably) won't mind. Lol!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
We don't even know Kiwi's hatch year! We were told he was "around 10" when we adopted him, but he had no band, sketchy history so he could be older or younger and we'd never know the difference (though his original vet agreed with the age we'd been told). We just decided to call him a nice even 10 years old, assume he hatched in 1998 and use his adoption day in lieu of a real hatch date. We have just counted up from there:)

You aren't in an unusual position at all. At least you have a pretty good idea give or take a few weeks! Just consider June her 'hatch month' if it lines up with what you were told and count up from there. It's not as if the bird cares.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Same here as April (kiwibird). Don’t even know Parkers hatch year. When I got him I was told he was about 6 years old, but don’t know his exact age. So we’ve worked off the assumption that 6 was accurate, putting hatch year 2009.

So I set an artificial hatch date of 6/26/2009 to make age tracking easy. 626 is a number that has followed me for years. I see it often as a result of a statistical analysis, license plate number, phone number, you name it. So it’s become a favorite number. So June 26 seemed the perfect solution.

Most Reactions

Latest posts