I don't know what to do

moth

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Sterling - whitefaced pied cockatiel
I absolutely adore my cockatiel, Sterling, she genuinely brings so much joy into my life. But I've lately been wondering if I am able to keep taking care of her. I have school for most hours of the day, and she gets a lot less one-on-one time than she should. I've thought about getting another cockatiel, but I've found it hard enough to take care of one, and I don't want her to get attached to a different bird in my place. I don't know what I would do without her, but I imagine that she is extremely lonely by herself all day. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for but I kinda am just wanting some general advice on what I should do, anything helps

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hi moth and welcome to the forum!
How much time are you able to spend with your bird? It's never a good idea to get another bird as a companion for the bird you already have, unless you are willing to buy another cage in case they don't get along.
Lots of people work all day but still make sure they spend time before and after work with their bird. Is this possible for you?

I'm so glad you joined us and are asking questions. People here have many years of experience and I'm sure you will get some wonderful advice.

OP
M

moth

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
I've been trying to spend more time with her recently; I usually spend 1 hour or less with her hands on. Sometimes I'll be in my room doing other stuff, when she's in her cage, but I still talk to her and sort of interact with her during those times. That's not often, though

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
While you're doing other stuff, could she be out of he cage? If you set up an area with toys you could continue with what you're doing (Keeping an eye on her) and she would still have time out.

OP
M

moth

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
That's a good idea. I could probably get something that rests on top of her cage, she already likes to climb there when the cage doors are open.

This might not be a good idea, but if I do get something like that, would it be safe for me to leave the room while she can roam around? She has a hard time getting back in her cage by herself once she's out of it, but if she could enter and leave whenever she wants, would there be a problem if I left her alone for 30 minutes or so at a time?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
As long as you bird proof your room. Make sure there are no electrical wires she can get to, nothing she can chew on that would make her sick. Basically that your room is as safe as her cage.

OP
M

moth

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Ok, this really helps! I'll get something to put on top of her cage, and I'll try to let her out of her cage as much as I can. Thank you so much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts