I feed cabbage do you?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My birds like cabbage. But I don't hear you guys talk about it. Do you feed cabbage?
https://parrotfunhouse.com/blogs/parronting-essentials-blog/list-of-safe-vegetables-for-parrots

Also, very rarely I give tomatoes. Penny loves them so much , everybody like them. I give less than once a month. Do you feed tomatoes?
https://beakcraze.com/are-tomatoes-safe-for-parrots/

I don't do chop , but I think about it. I feed big pieces if about 6 different vegetables and leafy greens a day, some dsys I feed lentils, beans, and other stuff. But I'm always interested in improvement. This is a nice article.
https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/2...5wYR6nKfn8ZY4Cx3bxTKl6AJOcYnflKWtZKYEAaN6rzZ8

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
My conures seem to have an aversion to anything green, so I donā€™t feed them cabbage (my chickens love cabbage and it all goes to them lol). I think because mine all came to me as seed eaters and adults, they are picky and only eat what they like out of bigger pieces. So mine get teeny tiny pieces of everything mixed together so that they canā€™t pick out the coloured stuff and leave the green things behind. I havenā€™t fed them tomatoes, there was mixed reviews of feeding them so I skipped it. Mine get chop daily, and like mentioned it has to be tiny pieces or they pick out what they like.

Iā€™m incredibly averse to kitchen work so I use a food processor to chop things up, I make a bunch of different combos of veggies and grains and freeze them in little containers.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ditto in the food processer, Jen. Maybe I have the wrong blades or something, but all my chop ends up with match head size bits of each ingredient. The only tings that are whole are corn kernels, peas, and the quinoa if i add it.
Laura, no cabbage or beans in our chop. once in awhile i feed Salty green beans, frozen then thawed.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I do feed cabbage, red primarily (almost never green, just donā€™t see much value).

I do feed chop. Where itā€™s comes to fruits and vegetables, Parker has a disruptive eating pattern: it has to be whole or finely chopped. Anything in chunks is thrown aside. Nothing huddle of the road, had to be the extremes.

I donā€™t feed tomatoes. Parker wonā€™t eat them and Iā€™m not crazy about the acid content.

Tman

Jan 3, 2021
Las Vegas Nv.
Parrots
Galah. Axel
Rescued budgie Anna RIP
Axel gets chop very fine he likes it that way. I use a food processor also. I give him snow peas. Red lettuce, green lettuce romaine lettuce, bok chuo, red,green,orange peppers. Broccoli, yellow squash spinach (light on the spinach) kale. I mix these up so it always taste a little different. The one thing I always add is sweet potato. I cook the sweet potato. Everything else is fresh. I sprout some fresh seeds every 3 days for him, instead of the chop. He gets a little pellets in the morning with his chop. And A little pellets late afternoon. The only fruit he gets is just a taste of my apple once in awhile.
When he sees me cut up the apple, if I don't give him a taste I get the stink eye.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio tends to like his greens and fruits sliced. mid to larger slices.

And, no Cabbage. Like Beans, not on the household shopping list.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
There is a lot of focus on densely nutritious foods. Which absolutely have a place. But parrots spend a lot if time foraging on less densely nutritious foods. Pellets are starting to be looked at, for high levels of vitamins readily available. Causing long term issues. Instead of the body making what it needs from like beta carotene.

I do want to increase the diversity I offer. I
plan to play with chop ideas.

But they spend a lot of time foraging on the chunks and really like to pick up with their feet.

laurasea-albums-obi-picture22905-20201010-151128.jpg

Its a never ending topic , ideas, new things, to get good nutrition in our parrots.

I really like hearing what works for everybody else . So thanks, keep sharing!

Last edited:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd isn't prepared to even try cabbage. He tosses it usually out of the cage and in my direction. He does like lettuce and the occasional dandelion leaf. The current batch of chop which contains lentils and chillies among other stuff which I thought he would really like he has been tossing with great disdain for a week.

There are times when he makes it very hard to love him!! He just doesn't appreciate all the effort I go to to give him a good life!

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I eat cabbage but my birdies are not interested. The Budgies like lettuce - but they are picky little budgies. They want the Outer, Large dark green romaine. Whole leaf or at least very large pieces. I put two in the cage otherwise they will fight over it. End of day I throw away the wilted, hole-ey leaf. Alternatively they will eat One variety of kale called "dinosaur kale." More expensive and less available than romaine lettuce... so they get romaine. Calliope-budge shreds one or two full carrots every day. I think she eats a fair amount of it because there never seem to be Quite enough shreds for all the missing carrot.... Jefferson-budgie and sometimes even Sunny eat small amounts of the carrot. Sunny likes fresh green beans, whole, and gets peeled fresh orange bell pepper every day. Slices clipped to the cage. she eats as much as she wants, sometimes she finishes both slices and sometimes just some little nibbles. She seems to dunk it in her Harrison's pellets as she goes.

And I give them dehydrated veggies, which include dehydrated beans & peas & some green veggies, every day. SOME days I re-hydrate them first. They dehydrated veggies are about the size of "chop."

Most Reactions

Latest posts