I feel terrible

Cockatielmom18

Sep 23, 2018
Parrots
Pearl (cockatiel)
Kid and Jeordi (budgies)
Kitty, Leia, Chips, Sico, Ginger, (<- RIP), Terrelli, Popularis, Ace, Whiteout, Cetoides, Ada, Lucasi, Oryx, and Tom (chickens)
I went on vacation with my parents for a few days for Thanksgiving.
I came home to no screams.
Pearl is gone.

I feel so bad I've been offline for a while. She was 2. It's been really hard on my mental health. We lost our cat in August, and the night we came home to find Pearl, my dad called my grandmother and she was... not supportive.
Kid and Jeordi are fine, and I thought I noticed Pearl eating slightly less before we left. I feel so bad, she was so young and looked mostly healthy, but earlier in her life I bugged my dad to get her to the vet for a checkup but it got canceled and we never rescheduled.
I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive, I just feel so bad.
I feel like a terrible bird mom even though I take care of Kid and Jeordi.

My mental health really suffers sometimes.
I'm sorry Pearl.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'm sorry- I hope you heal. Such sensitive creatures... I wish I could help- so hard to lose a family member.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'm so sorry, my deepest condolences for your loss of Pearl. The passing of a beloved parrot is devastating, particularly at young age. I hope in time Pearl's beautiful memories will bring more joy than despair.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I'm so sorry. I know it can be hard, but please try to forgive yourself and your family. I lost my first bird as a kid because my parents dragged their feet getting her a vet appointment, thinking me too young to really know if "Tweety is sick", and I probably just wanted more attention or something. Took me a while to really forgive them, but I know they did not know she was so sick and birds so good at hiding being sick. Losing Pearl wasn't your fault, but I know that won't heal the hurt you feel. I also hope in time the pain fades enough to enjoy the good memories.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cockatielmom18, I’m so very sorry for your devastating loss. I wish that there were some words that I could say that would take away your pain, but please know that we here understand your grief and will support you in your time of heartbreak. You understand what a privilege it is to love and be loved by your little birds and that in itself is a gift precious beyond measure.

Pearl is flying free now but she holds you in her heart, just as you will always hold her in yours, and the love you shared with her will remain alive forever. Sending warm and healing feathered hugs, my thoughts are with you.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge precious Pearl, you will always be loved.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am sorry for your loss.
Don't beat yourself up about it. Everyone who has lost a companion can make a daisy chain of should have/would have.

Concentrate on the living as best you can.

texsize

Most Reactions