I got my handfed GCC, and I've had him for only 3 days, but he does not want to tame!

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
I bought my handfed green cheek conure, and I've had him for only 3 days, but he doesn't want to tame??? Any tips? HEEELLLLP

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Don't rush him. It may take several weeks for him to settle and want to know you. Think of it from his view. You are a stranger, he doesn't know if you will hurt him or even eat him. He doesn't recognise anything around him. You have to gain his trust.
So sit as near to his cage as doesn't frighten him. If you frighten him you go back to the beginning again so you must go carefully and learn patience. Talk to him lots, read out loud while he watches and listens. If he approaches feed him a treat, it will be trial and error to find what he really likes for a treat.
You don't tell us how old he is but be prepared for him to regress a little with the shock of leaving his former home and all he has known. Tell us what you are feeding, how old he is and your previous experience of birds. Lots of folk here will help just hang in there.
Rule number one - step back, don't frighten him. just because he was hand fed doesn't mean he will automatically come to you. Is he properly weened if he is that young? More info will help us to help you. Welcome.

WhiteFlight

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 20, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Parrots
Meisha: Umbrella Cockatoo | Female | 03/09/1989 Hatch Date
I got my handfed GCC, and I've had him for only 3 days, but he does not want to t

Don't rush him. It may take several weeks for him to settle and want to know you. Think of it from his view. You are a stranger, he doesn't know if you will hurt him or even eat him. He doesn't recognise anything around him. You have to gain his trust.

So sit as near to his cage as doesn't frighten him. If you frighten him you go back to the beginning again so you must go carefully and learn patience. Talk to him lots, read out loud while he watches and listens. If he approaches feed him a treat, it will be trial and error to find what he really likes for a treat.
You don't tell us how old he is but be prepared for him to regress a little with the shock of leaving his former home and all he has known. Tell us what you are feeding, how old he is and your previous experience of birds. Lots of folk here will help just hang in there.

Rule number one - step back, don't frighten him. just because he was hand fed doesn't mean he will automatically come to you. Is he properly weened if he is that young? More info will help us to help you. Welcome.

Ditto, that fits.

OP
B

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
I'm feeding him pellets fruit and seeds. He is properly weekend, and he had siblings, so he might be sad about leaving them, but when I walk by, he'll jump like crazy ):

OP
B

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
I have past experience with budgies and a little with cocktails, but never conures

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots have no natural reason to trust humans!
Building a trust bond starts with providing them a reason to trust Humans!
Only good things happen when Humans are around!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
B

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
I watched a video and it said to spend lots of time by the cage, like reading a book, or watching TV, but not to do sudden movements so he doesn't lose trust. Is this true?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Excellent advice above. Most parrots rate of acceptance to change is glacial when compared to our quick monkey brains. They can be object lessons in patience. try for small incremental progress rather than a big step. You need to first establish that you are not going to harm or hurt him, so anything that frightens him is to be avoided or at best slowly introduced.

Sitting nearby and reading aloud to him in a soothing voice is excellent. If he is upset by you being too close, move the chair back a bit until he relaxes, and then daily move the chair a little bit closer until you are right next to the cage.

Like 'Boats said, Only Good Things Happen When Humans Are Around. This is something that has to be learned, it's not an innate part of bird psychology.

OP
B

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
He is currently in the living room, and there are kids running back and forth all around his cage(they are kids being kids...) could that cause a problem?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
He is currently in the living room, and there are kids running back and forth all around his cage(they are kids being kids...) could that cause a problem?

It might be kind to your GCC to ask the children to show respect to his position but as long as they don't knock the cage he will get used to them given time. In your position I would explain to them just how frightened your little one is. Usually children respond to a suggestion that someone is scared of them.The advice you have seen on video is good. As I wrote before it could take weeks particularly if your household is more crazy than he is used to.

Lower your expectations, watch his health, that he is feeding well and drinking. Have you put toys in his cage? You might find that initially he might just want to hide but don't be tempted to put little hammocks or sleep huts in. Perhaps he will hide behind a toy if he has some.

Take your time, be gentle and kind and approach only if he comes towards you with lots of gentle praise in your voice. Use his name out loud a lot so he gets to recognise it.

OP
B

Bird_Boy

May 18, 2021
Thank You guys so much! I will take your advice and try my best

Most Reactions