I got politely annoyed with a, friend yesterday

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
And I still feel annoyed to be honest. But is it justifyed?

She has a beautifully trained Collie who is almost perfectly obedient. and she wanted me tost albie out to meet him! She didn't ask once, but several times. I said no and explained why.

I'm sorry but I am not putting albie at risk no matter how well trained doggo is. All it would take is albie to bite and for the dog to snap out of reaction /retaliation for him to kill albie. Hell, even a paw swipe could hurt albie.

It's all because of these "cute" pictures and videos of dogs and birds together. They may
Be willing to their birds at risk but I'm not. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to albie in a situation like that.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Stitch you were absolutely right to refuse to let Albie meet your friend's collie, and in fact I'm pretty sure your polite annoyance was much more courteous than I'd have been in the same situation! One glance at our "Bereavements" page is sufficient testament to the disastrous outcomes that can and do occur - not always to be sure, but often enough. Good for you for not giving in to pressure and keeping Albie safe!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
You made good choice saying no :) there are a few ways to introduce a dog (or any animal) sagley witha bird u can keeo your bird in a cage or a dog on a super short leash and someone who can hold the dog even when the dog is trying to chace the bird but still the safest choice is not to introduce them :)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
You have every right to be annoyed. Keep to your word. From my experience with people, they simply do not understand birds all that well, so we really do need to explain and convince it is a bad idea.

Other than immediately putting the blame on the collie, which I do believe it could behave very very well even with a bird, you cannot guarantee that your bird might not go for the eyes on the dog. Your bird could very likely be ultimately stressed next to a dog, so try to explain from a bird's perspective why it might not be a good idea. I never minded if the bird is safe in a cage or a carrier and they can see the dog and vice versa, but together out, absolutely never, especially not with a stranger's dog (even a good friend's dog.)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Stitch, you made the right choice. As said above, non bird people don't get it. As we've heard around here more times than we should have, everything was great- until it wasn't.

Things can go horribly wrong in an instant. Thank you for protecting Albie like a good mama should! :)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I think I was was worrying I was over reacting in feeling annoyed. And the fact they kept pushing the issue

Hubby was less than impressed too and had I not said anything he would have been quite (rightly) rude to them.

Thank you for the reassurance that I did do the right thing by Albie. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to him.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dead right! I am fortunate that our old, old cairne terrier Tinker is apprehensive about Salty and leaves the room when he is out. We dog sat 1X for my daughter, whose designer dog would not stop trying to jump up on Salty's cage. Last time we ever did that. Salty was clearly upset and afraid of this dog.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw

She has a beautifully trained Collie who is almost perfectly obedient. and she wanted me tost albie out to meet him! She didn't ask once, but several times. I said no and explained why.

I'm sorry but I am not putting albie at risk no matter how well trained doggo is. All it would take is albie to bite and for the dog to snap out of reaction /retaliation for him to kill albie. Hell, even a paw swipe could hurt albie.

It's all because of these "cute" pictures and videos of dogs and birds together. They may
Be willing to their birds at risk but I'm not. I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to albie in a situation like that.
As the old saying goes, better be safe than sorry.......it's wiser to be cautious than to be hasty and so do something you may later regret.

please be at ease to stand your ground, and come to term with dislike from those who do not take precaution.

Since human are not perfect, they make mistakes. And It is so sad when accident happens.

webblock

Sep 26, 2014
I've seen those posts too, where the birds are cuddling and playing with dogs and cats, I once had two cats and a dog who left my parrots alone, they were afraid of their beaks and bravado, Amazon and Quaker. But that's the best it got. I would never have left them alone with my birds. I'm pretty sure your friend has never owned birds or she would not be so ignorant about the dangers of introducing birds to dogs which are after all a predator species and birds are prey. You are a good birdie Mom, keep taking care of your fids just like that!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Gosh what a nerve. I had my daughter's dog here last week to stay. He too is beautifully trained and a gundog so understands birds and doesn't bother. I wouldn't even let them get together. No way. Your friend had a cheek by putting you in that position. Stand your ground - let her read the bereavement threads on here.

Of course you could have simply stated that Albie would have the dogs eyes out and you couldn't possibly risk it!

AvianGuy

Sep 29, 2014
YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. I would have done the same with my Male Eckkie "Baby Taylor". ALL My Fids safety first. All of them. Number One Rule.
"People Have Forgotten This Truth....
But You Must Never Forget It.
You Become Responsible Forever...
For What You Have Tamed.

Antione de Saint Exupery

Linda lee

Oct 30, 2021
Santa cruz CA
Parrots
Had a sun conure. Fed her too many pine nuts. She already had a sinus problem. Nuts are too rich for birds. I or 2 max. It's like dairy for people. The nuts make mucus in the birds too.

Yeah my friend told me her dog would be fine with my bird and no I had to go to the hospitol cause the dog bit me.

Gilly697

Nov 25, 2021
Parrots
Nine yet but getting some budgies soon and planning on cockatiels and a conure next year. Had birds when I was younger but none during my marriage as ex-husband was allergic.
You definitely HAVE done the right thing - it just takes a split second for a dog sniffing a bird to snap at it and the bird is no more....and as someone who's had collies in the past they ARE a very fast and reactive breed! Better to have a friend who is sulking at not being able to show off a fancy video on tiktok or youtube than you having to live with the pain and guilt of losing a member of your family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts