I got these sand perches for my jenday conures , are they good?

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
These are the perches! I think they’re well because my conures chew on the wood and break it off and I’m scared they’ll ingest it.

Attachments

• D4494056-6E85-448D-BDD2-40C31531C1A7.jpeg
    D4494056-6E85-448D-BDD2-40C31531C1A7.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 86

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wouldn't use sand perches, they can cause irritation to their feet as well as bumble foot.
It's totally natural for them to chew the perches like they do toys. I use wood perches of different sizes for mine, if they only have one size they can also get bumblefoot.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Some alternative's are to put it in an area where he/she doesn't go to a lot, or get calcium perches. Another alternative is using side-sanded perches(perches that are rough at the sides and smooth on top)

Terry has very good advice above, sandpaper perches aren't so good for their sensitive feet. First, it doesn't replace nail trimming, and secondly, it can cause infections like bumblefoot :)

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
I wouldn't use sand perches, they can cause irritation to their feet as well as bumble foot.
It's totally natural for them to chew the perches like they do toys. I use wood perches of different sizes for mine, if they only have one size they can also get bumblefoot.
It’s fine if my bird chews on the wood then? I just wanna make sure they don’t eat it :((

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It’s fine if my bird chews on the wood then? I just wanna make sure they don’t eat it :((
None of mine have ever eaten the wood, it is just as safe as the toys with wood that parrots like and need to chew on:) There are safe woods and unsafe woods, but if you are buying them from a reputable source they should be fine.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
These are the perches! I think they’re well because my conures chew on the wood and break it off and I’m scared they’ll ingest it.
I've seen these in plastic before but I haven't seen them in wood. I don't use sand perches for reasons Terry mentioned.

Besides parrot safe wood. I use these perches. My parrots don't really eat them they just chew on them and turn them to crumbles.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh, and a really wide perch helps them naturally keep nails down. Its good to offer at least one really wide perch. Those can be hard to find or are marketed for large parrots like macaw.
Like if you make a wide c with your hands.

So I went through bird safe wood and checked for those trees on my property as I know I don't use pesticides. Then I has a freind cut some large branches for me. I scrubbed them. Then soaked in dilute bleach, rinsed, and left outside a few days in the sun till dry and no bleach smell. I had holes drilled in if needed and use zip ties to attach on top of some of my cages.
Even the tiny budgies like to use them.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Actually those sand perches aren't wood, they're plastic with sand on them.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Sand perches I would just personally stay away from. They do irritate your birds feet because of the rough texture and if they chew it, possible ingestion could cause impactions or some sort of gut immobilization due to the small tiny “sand” pieces that resemble glass. The glass like sand could also cause some minor cuts on your birds feet which is uncomfortable and dangerous for them, exposing them to infection and bacteria.
As alternatives, you can use perches that are sandy or rough in texture on the sides and smooth on top where the pads of their feet rest.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Um some sand perches are OK.... as long as there not up high so they aren't used as a main perch. And they only have the rough part on the bottom and not the top so that only the nails get trimmed and that the skin dosent get rubbed raw. I personally would'ent ever buy my birds sand perches as I've heard stories of birds nails getting to short and them having balance issues, but just way risk VS benefit

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
The only pumice perches I would ever consider using (I actually have two and use them) are the sweet feet and beak brand pumice perches.. https://sweetfeetandbeak.com/products/large-patented-safety-pumice-perch as they are safe to use. One of mine is concrete with textured sides and the other is plastic with the sandy bit on the sides only and the birds would be hard pressed to remove the sandy stuff unless they were very very determined to do so and well known for destruction- these are rather safe pumice perches, the safest I have seen yet. They have a wide smooth part where the birds foot actually sits and only has the pumice where the nails are, they are safest positioned as a lower perch (not a main use perch) preferably near a water bowl or toy or in an area that the bird does not just sit still in.
I would not ever use the one pictured.

I pretty much only ever recommend toys/accessories that my macaw can not or has not broken, he is honestly a total master at destruction and breaks things many other macaw owners only see their Hy's being able to break (he gets into macadamia nuts which many will say B&Gs cannot do, he has broken numerous welds on his cage and bends the largest quick links I can find in SS as well as crushing my kitchen tap beyond repair like it was made of butter). He loves to find out how things come apart and if they are not designed to come apart he will simply work out how to make them come apart- he has not damaged these pumice perches much to my delight and surprise yet many supposed reusable forage toys labelled for macaws he has smashed within less than a minute of having access to them. These perches really are good quality.

As for your bird chewing wooden perches... that is great, do not discourage that. Birds need to chew wood (unless they have been diagnosed with pica which is not overly common) to keep their beak healthy and in great shape- I expect my wooden perches to last approx a month, some last a little longer some a little less, it really depends on the type of wood I use. I forage for and make my own perches so my birds always have an awesome variety of shapes, sizes and textures, they really love it when they get one with thick bark on it.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
As other's mentioned, parrots are 100% meant to chew on the wood. it's a great plus if they will chew on the perches instead of your furniture. Also the wooden parrot toys you can get are meant to be destroyed too! A good toy is a toy that lasts a short time next to the bird!

Don't worry about the ingestion, they're not eating the wood. Also even if small bits do get ingested, much better than plastic.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
Under no circumstances are sand perches ever to be anywhere near a budgie or other parrot. They are one of the most vicious inventions around. An active budgie with regular trims has no need and should never see one of these torturous items. Budgies have very delicate feet and they bleed when on these... they need to be outlawed.

Trimming budgie toes should take only a couple of minutes ... and using positive reinforcement training will make it fun and rewarding for the bird. To lean go to http://www.BehaviorWorks.com and read about positive reinforcement training. Also, there is live help at Evidence Based Parrot Training on FB. Make it fun. Have a special treat in tiny tiny tiny pieces ready for the process which would begin with you simply touching a toes, clicking with your mouth, saying "Good Bird" or name of bird, and offering the tidbit. Soon the bird understands that you, touching it's foot, produces a reward.

We all learn with motivation. So the next step would be to lift the foot, click and reward ... I think you get the drift. Go to those to places and read more. A TINY TINY snip of the sharp point is all that's needed on a regular basis. BUT keep flour handy in case you hit a vein by going back too far. Stuff flour into the bleeding toe nail. HOPEFULLY, this will never happen.

You can also use a large, flat stone that is a bit course... and put things on it so the budgie walks on the stone to get the treat. It won't keep them perfect of a bit of an abrasive stone will help with the sharp points. We only want the tip of the nail to be altered ... not the skin of the little footie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts