I hate hormones and puberty.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So we were doing great these last couple weeks, Albie was back to being his sweet adorable cuddle bug. Tonight he's turned back into being a little grot bag... He bit me hard 3x this evening. He didn't draw blood and it initially hurt but now I'm taking it personally and I know its nothing personal

When will it be over?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Get Ye Ready, Oh Faithful! This season promises to reap much claret. Just keep reminding yourself "And this too Shall Pass"

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
As Wrench says,it will pass. We had a few weeks of not entirely trusting Connie as the bites came out of the blue. " Step up" meant bite me hard! So she wasnt asked to do that for months. OH still wont touch her,but she loves him. I think one thing to remember is that Albie will almost instantly forget hes done it,and still expect you to be sweet to him,even if its through the grinding of teeth!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The term 'hate' is far too easy to simply use without any understanding of the term itself. When applied to the actions of a creature that has zero control over the chemical rush, let along the intensity of the rush is totally unfair. As stated, after the chemicals have cleared, they are as shocked by the occurrence as we are.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The term 'hate' is far too easy to simply use without any understanding of the term itself. When applied to the actions of a creature that has zero control over the chemical rush, let along the intensity of the rush is totally unfair. As stated, after the chemicals have cleared, they are as shocked by the occurrence as we are.

Until they learn to say “sorry “ I have a hard time not taking it personally.:rolleyes:

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I have a very hard time taking it personally too, especially when he nails me 3x leaving bruising and it was un provoked as I was sat on the sofa no where near him when he dives across the room to attack me.

We are doing better today though

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I’m with both of you as well, I have a hard time taking bites personally. It’s gotten better as after A particularly rough patch where Parker was days away from rehoming (more for causing human disharmony with his normal parrotisms but a touch of particularly bad behavior) I’ve started looking at Parkers behavior a bit more clinically, how to be better prepared for bad behavior and how to even identify and avoid situations where bad behavior is likely to take place.

That clinical approach has spared me a bit from taking things personally.

A bit.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Green cheek bites hurt, way more than other bites i have had.

Distraction, extra activities, extra baths help during hormonal times.
And pay attention, I can avoid 99% bites by paying attention to body language.
Decrease fatty foods, fairly foods trigger breeding.

Most Reactions