I have had a Budgie for almost a year now but she still isn't tame can someone help?

Zack

Sep 7, 2016
Parrots
Clyde the male cockatiel and Bonnie the female parakeet.
As the title suggests I have had a Budgie for almost a year and she still hates me. What do I do? :( She LOVES my other bird Clyde, he is a cockatiel. My Budgie will only get on me when Clyde is on me! When clyde leaves she follows. Please Help!

Last edited:

BirdMama11

Jan 9, 2018
California, United States
Parrots
Green parakeet named Calypso,
White parakeet named Snowflake
Hello! That must be frustrating :( I had a bird like that, and I did these few steps to help! I first separated him from his other budgie friend (for no more than 15 minutes a day) and put him in a separate cage, I didn't feel it was necessary for me, but if you want to, put him in another room. For a week, I read to him and observed how day by day how he became calmer with me talking to him. After that, I took a perch and started putting it in the cage, and having him step onto it. Every week, I inched my finger closer to his feet, until he was standing on my finger and the perch. I slowly removed the perch, and he was comfortable stepping up to me and being with me. Hope this helps! :)

OP
Zack

Zack

Sep 7, 2016
Parrots
BirdMama11, she got on my finger once or twice before and I was able to rub her chest but now she stopped letting me pet her. She just runs or gets on my shoulder like I said before.
Thanks for the advice I will try it!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Hi there!

I suggest you read my sticky post, Taming and bonding with budgerigars. I went into a lot of detail about bonding and building trust with budgies - don't give up hope! You can still build a really close bond with your bird, even though you've had her for a while.

Since you already seem to have at least a small amount of trust (she is okay with sitting on your shoulder) you can skip a lot of what I mentioned in that post. However, I do think that hand-feeding will help a lot, as well as talking to her regularly and spending one-on-one time with her.

I hope this helps somehow!

OP
Zack

Zack

Sep 7, 2016
Parrots
Thanks, Reeb for the help! Now I know 2 things to do to get her to trust me. What is wierd is that I have had Clyde for the same amount of time and he trusted me the day after he got home! :)

Most Reactions