I have soooo many questions!!

Iago'smom

Oct 1, 2022
Parrots
1 Quaker
Hi Everyone!

So I did it! I finally adopted my bonded pair of Amazons! I thought I would have an easier time connecting with the Red-Lored Lily because she almost took a nut from me at the sanctuary but I quickly learned this was not the case! She is actually really aggressive. She goes up to the DYH Rascal and demands that he preen her. When he stops she bites his feet! I got a large cage (the largest I could afford at the moment) and housed them together. Once I noticed she was basically bullying him and the love was actually one-sided, I contacted the woman I worked with at the sanctuary. She immediately came over with a smaller cage. Earlier that day, I opened the cage doors and she came out. I was so excited. I thought that meant she was comfortable with me. She went to the very top of the cage and stayed there for about 20 mins. Then she jumped off and proceeded to try to walk around the house. When we went to put her way she started running away and would lunge at us if we got too close. When we finally got her back in her cage I felt defeated. Almost like I took several steps back as far as establishing a bond. The DYH was having issues getting around in the cage due to his foot injuries so he was stationary in one spot for the first day since bringing him home. I did see him eat and drink so I figured it was just his way of adjusting to the new changes.

They were mainly quiet the first day but after the incident with Lily escaping to the floor, she became very vocal. And I quickly learned the reason why people say Amazons aren't good apartment pets! It's now day two and we have Lily in the larger cage and Rascal in the smaller cage (just until I can get him a larger cage). Rascal is still very quiet and doesn't move around much. He was extremely vocal when the woman from the shelter came over. I'm guessing because he was familiar with her and he isn't with us. Lily hasn't stopped yelling since she woke up. I'm wondering if maybe there is a reason for her constant screams? Is it because she is no longer in the cage with Rascal? Or perhaps just because she was used to screaming all day at the sanctuary? I figured since they were in an outdoor aviary it will take some time for them to adjust to being indoors.

I would appreciate any advice you all have as to how I can make this transition easier for them? How long should I wait to try and handle them? What signs should I look for to suggest that they're open to it? How do I bond with Rascal if he won't take treats from me yet? Lily will take them but she will also lunge at me while cleaning her cage so I know she is still not receptive to being handled. This is A LOT!!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG-0155.jpg
    IMG-0155.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-0157.jpg
    IMG-0157.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-0158.jpg
    IMG-0158.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 72

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome friend. Strongly suggest you read several times over the threads at the top of our Amazon subforum. Amazons are all about body language, so you will need to become fluent in it. The language is different for each parrot but has some common elements.

OP
Iago'smom

Iago'smom

Oct 1, 2022
Parrots
1 Quaker
Welcome friend. Strongly suggest you read several times over the threads at the top of our Amazon subforum. Amazons are all about body language, so you will need to become fluent in it. The language is different for each parrot but has some common elements.
Thanks for the advice! I have that thread saved on my phone and I refer to it often. I have many resources I refer to but I just wanted to reach out and get feedback from people who go through similar things every day.🙂

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You are interjection a new factor in the pair dynamic and this is going to take a lot of study and work to get there. Seems like they may not be as bonded as you think , if one is biting feet if not obeyed. Def house them separate. You should also work with each one separately, preferably out of sight of the other one. Each of these parrots demand out of cage , one on one time with you, so you have your hands full. Sure you are up to it? DYH's are particularly smart and need to have that with their person.

PS - I hope you are getting a much larger cage for the double yellow head, that cage is like a travel cage, way too small for a daily one.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had two paired Amazon’s.
A RLA + OWA (R.I.P.)
And currently have a pair of Green Cheek Amazons.
In both cases one gender was the majority groomer and the other gender was the major recipient of grooming.

With My Green Cheeks Merlin (assumed male) is a bit of a bully but I have an unusual cage setup.
if Luna (assumed female) wants to get away she can move to a cage that is attached to the main cage by a small door.

Sounds like your DYH is more unsure of the new surroundings and not willing to relax enough for preening.

separating them may be best at least at first but the cage too small and the separation may be the cause of alot of the screaming.

OP
Iago'smom

Iago'smom

Oct 1, 2022
Parrots
1 Quaker
I have had two paired Amazon’s.
A RLA + OWA (R.I.P.)
And currently have a pair of Green Cheek Amazons.
In both cases one gender was the majority groomer and the other gender was the major recipient of grooming.

With My Green Cheeks Merlin (assumed male) is a bit of a bully but I have an unusual cage setup.
if Luna (assumed female) wants to get away she can move to a cage that is attached to the main cage by a small door.

Sounds like your DYH is more unsure of the new surroundings and not willing to relax enough for preening.

separating them may be best at least at first but the cage too small and the separation may be the cause of alot of the screaming.
But that’s the thing! He isn’t screaming at all! In fact he can say some phrases and the last time he spoke was when the sanctuary representative came by to bring us that temporary small cage. His feet were so mangled he stayed in one spot and would fall when trying to get around the larger cage. Now he seems content to sit in silence as the joba oil is repairing his feet. He definitely seems better off at least!

Attachments

• 66A23C0F-816B-412B-AEB8-4D7842124BE1.jpeg
    66A23C0F-816B-412B-AEB8-4D7842124BE1.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 53

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
But that’s the thing! He isn’t screaming at all! In fact he can say some phrases and the last time he spoke was when the sanctuary representative came by to bring us that temporary small cage. His feet were so mangled he stayed in one spot and would fall when trying to get around the larger cage. Now he seems content to sit in silence as the joba oil is repairing his feet. He definitely seems better off at least!
Awe his poor feet! I use a heated perch for my Amazon as her feet sensitive.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have read that coconut oil is antifungal and antibacterial; and I’ve used that on my bird’s skin-damaged foot. (But maybe jojoba oil is, also.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts