I just spent a small fortune on food treats and toys for Albie...

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Think I've found his favorite toy! https://imgur.com/gallery/0rnAJZ0

I got him some zupreem natural pellets, some nutriberries, a wooden foraging toy thing (vma peice of wood with holes bored into it to put bits of food in) a kebob skewer the activity net and a woven seagrass net filled with shredded paper. He's a spoiled birdie!

Last edited:
OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
He absolutely loves it, he got mad at me for taking him away to put him to bed hahahah I think I may need to buy a few more....

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Beware of stocking up on a specific toy, because they can change their minds. Salty had a fav wood toy, smallish, but he would destroy it in a matter of hours. Thats good, right? So I got like 6 or 7 of them. And after a few, he decided they are now made of lava. Totally ignores them, no matter where I put them.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, just about the time you have a good stock, they're on to something new! The big question is when...

Regarding the small fortune -- a downpayment on a lifetime of costs. We just add a line item to the budge and plan on it. If not spent, it gets added into a savings account that covers those skyrocketed cost items, like medical.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
To be honest, I enhoyed spending the money on things for him, I'd rather spend on him everything I had to keep him happy than to spend it on useless junk. I especially loved his reactions to the toys.

I do think I've a broken brid though.... I mixed his pellets through his seed mix this morning, he saw he had fresh seed mix, got excited. When he started sifting through and saw the pellets, he started flinging the seed so he could find the pellets! Until he found a banana chip thatt is.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
I wish Connie would react like that to new toys, shes more interested in shredding the tea towel or picking "diamonds" out of my earrings.
Same reaction with her new Harrisons food though,I put some in with her seed bowl,and the seeds came flying out to get to the new stuff! They are such good company,never a dull moment until they have an afternoon zzzzz!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I wish Connie would react like that to new toys, shes more interested in shredding the tea towel or picking "diamonds" out of my earrings.

Same reaction with her new Harrisons food though,I put some in with her seed bowl,and the seeds came flying out to get to the new stuff! They are such good company,never a dull moment until they have an afternoon zzzzz!

Some Parrots consider new stuff as Radioactive! Consider changing your process of introducing new things. Have toys work into the Parrots world slowly, you will find that at some point, they will notice it as being around and investigate. With food like pellets read Harrisons website targeting their document on introducing their Pellets. We use a method of crushing some and sprinkling it 'lightly' on their dry food. Over time, they will by accident eat it and will begin searching it out.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
To be honest, I enhoyed spending the money on things for him, I'd rather spend on him everything I had to keep him happy than to spend it on useless junk. I especially loved his reactions to the toys.

I do think I've a broken brid though.... I mixed his pellets through his seed mix this morning, he saw he had fresh seed mix, got excited. When he started sifting through and saw the pellets, he started flinging the seed so he could find the pellets! Until he found a banana chip thatt is.

lol- nah, just a normal day HA! Sometimes, mine will stand up straight, extend her arm arbitrarily over the bowl (like a claw machine/"Skill Crane) and then lower it (same speed), grab a massive handful of food and then look me in the eye, extend her claw outward and drop it all on the newly swept floor. Funny thing is, while it irritates me, I don't care that much if the floor is semi-dirty (as it often is...But- I do think she does it BECAUSE the floor is clean ha).

Your bird is working just fine hahah!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts