I love bunnies

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
Ok so I think the reason some pet stores sell animals at such low prices is because when a person walks in to a store that is not a big box store and they see a cute rabbit for only $5 they can't say no. Such as the case with my bestfriend yesterday after donating plasma we went into a few pet stores looking at them because I love pet stores. And we saw a bunny for only $5 Now she already had a cage for it but nothing else so the grand total of just the basic things they need such as food, bedding, a few bowl, water bottle, and chew things (so their teeth don't over grow), and timothy hay came to around $40 the most expensive thing was the timothy hay. And then on top of that there was one bunny that had babies the day before and we are thinking about putting a deposit down on one so when it is weaned we can get it. I've already read about bunnies and she is doing her research thank god because she thought they could eat cat food. So tomorrow I am getting her the bunnies for dummies book

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol i use to have a house rabbit, wasn't caged lived with us like a cat or a dog would, he use to attack cats and chase my step son about the house, and do most of his business in a litter tray.

he had to be neutered, as when he attacked, he was very intent on causing harm, he would jump an kick out, or just bite as in lots of bites and very fast! he calmed down enough to be handled and have run of the house a few weeks after the vet visit :)

so when ever i hear ppl saying they got a rabbit, i always think of Mr Nitz and smile, kept the garden free from cats and the step kids in there bed rooms :) (just joking, he only chased them because they ran away at first, when they got tired or bored of being chased they sat down and he would lay down, then they got there 2nd wind and it'll all start again!!)
this was over 14yrs ago

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
At my pet store yesterday, at the start of the day there was 4 baby pygmy rabbits (awww) . At the end of the day there was 1 left :( . I had a pygmy and he was very sweet until he got eaten by an eagle :eek: ! He was pretty wild ( literally ) and ran with the hares.
PS: I meant dwarf, not pygmy.

Last edited:

ASHxNEFF

Dec 29, 2010
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Darwyn- princess parrot
Aiden (lionhead/dwarf) used to run free in my room until he started eating my carpet and wallpaper.. and everything else.. lol. He acts just like a dog and runs up to you when he's out. I love pet rabbits :) Good luck and enjoy him/her if you decide to get 'em :)

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
I guess her's is an american sable I'm not sure what the others are but hers is sooooo adorable.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Our neighbors found a very large domestic rabbit in their flower garden about 7-8 years ago. We knew they could be house broken and decided to adopt him. His name was Benny Rabbit. Unfortunately, he got out and some dogs got him. Poor, poor Benny.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
I have a house rabbit called Maisie Moo....or Moo for short!

She will be 7 this year.

She's so laid back with all the other animals it is astounding. When she was younger, she used to snuggle up beside me on the sofa and watch films. I had popcorn, she had carrot sticks lol!

Now as she is getting on, she rarely wants to venture out of her cage. If she does, she's happy to sit on the floor and lie down. She is toilet trained but you cannot trust her with wires!!! You can tell her an area is "no go" but leave her alone for a split second, those wires would prove too much temptation!

Bunnies are great in the house and there's not terribly much to know about them. A good rabbit mix with no dried fruit in it but best of all is a pellet diet, plenty of hay, daily tasty veg/fruit and plenty of out time and fun toys. Nail clips when needed and it's even possible to get bunny vaccinations. Much like our feathered friends, huh???

The one thing I will warn you about is making certain that your new bunnys teeth are kept short.

Before Moo I had a bunny called Finch who was more like a dog, he was WONDERFUL. One time I was hoovering and the catch that holds the hoover upright broke. As I was down on my hands and knees using an attachment to clean the skirting, it fell and the handle hit my temple. I passed out! When I came to, Finch was on my lap and my then bf was kneeling beside me concerned.

Turns out, Finch actually hopped up the stairs to go fetch him. It was amazing considering the hoover was still going and what could have happened...omg.

Anyway, Finch did not like hay much. He did not chew enough so he had to have his teeth clipped. He was a dwarf lop and as they are "man made" their faces are very short. Eventually, his teeth grew UPWARDS because clipping doesn't have the same effect as natural grinding. You cannot keep up with nature in that way. His teeth grew into his tearducts and all I will tell you is there was a lot of pus, a lot of injections, a lot of failed operations and it ended with him having to be put to sleep. The vets bills cost me over £1000. People thought I was mad as he himself cost £20. And??????

I was DEVESTATED. I still miss that lil guy! Make sure you teach your bun the wonders of hay/crunchy fruit and plenty of chew toys early on - don't make the mistake I did with Finch and think you can simply get the vet to clip the teeth. (Which, by the way, is expensive to get done every month and it wasn't enough :()

OP
Colorguarder08

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Yeah we are not sure right now if we are going to get another one but we are thinking about it. right now I'm not sure about anything thanks to my dad deciding he doesnt like that one of my dogs is fixed and so he is going to open the door and let them both run free.

Most Reactions

Latest posts