I love my Bolo! [long post]

Jcbfergie

May 27, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Bolo - blue head pionus
This post isn't a question... it's me gushing to you guys about how much I love my bird! Also, since I have had 14 days of "Pionus School", I figured my observations would be helpful - or at least interesting - to prospective and new Pionus parents. He and I have learned so much about each other so far, each day I can't wait to find out what he will allow me to learn about him next!

I have had my 3-year old blue-headed pionus for two weeks now... He is perfection! The experience is one my whole family is immersed in and embracing, and this meek, gentle bird has won all of our hearts.

Bolo was sold to a pet store by his original owner. He was going to be the store's bird, but he wasn't digging the atmosphere - it's a very nice but really busy store. So other than what little the store employees could tell me, I knew nothing about what his preferences were.

BEHAVIOR:
The first 2 or 3 days he would let me stand by the cage and talk to him, but if I tried to rub his head or (God forbid) have him step up, he would turn his back. When I eventually got him to realize I was only going to rub his head, he would start this sort of panting. It wasn't the wheeze I read about, but it was definitely a different breathing pattern. As soon as I stopped rubbing, he would stop the panicked breathing. I haven't seen him do it since, though.

"TALKING"
After about a week, he began making new noises. Instead of the usual chirps, squeaks, and squawks (only from accidentally startling him), he started doing this voice that sounded like listening to a TV through a telephone! I actually have two recordings of it, but I can't figure out how to upload an iPhone memo... Anyway, I read that Pionus' will make a robot-like voice, and that's pretty accurate! He does it when he is really happy (i.e., getting "yum-yums") and/or really relaxed. And there seems to be a definite cadence or rhythm to it. My husband, my grand-daughter and I have all heard him mutter "pretty bird", but that's all we can make out so far. Even so, all of his noises are with his "inside voice" - he is just so gentle and sweet!

SHOWERS
I was really excited about the possibility of Bolo taking a shower, but I tried it with him on about day five. That was too soon, though I think he may have liked it a tiny bit. Even though he barely got wet, his color was much prettier afterwards, and his beautiful Pionus smell was stronger for a bit too, though that was probably due more to the stress of the shower than being clean ;) I had him on my hand in the shower and was going to put him on his perch. He crawled BACK up my arm to my shoulder and down onto my chest, then buried his beak in my cleavage! Poor baby!

DIET
Food is something we are still figuring out. The pet store was feeding him about a half a cup a day of Kaytee Forti-Diet along with whatever snacks the employees gave him (ugh!). I am trying to tweak his diet, so at this point he eats:

- 1/4 a cup of the Kaytee
- on top of that I add 10-12 Lafeber's Nutri-Berries
- on top of that I sprinkle about 1/8 cup of Harrison's High Potency Fine Pellets

I have to order my parrot food, so not knowing what he would be willing to try, I figured I would buy two kinds - that's why I am layering them to make sure he has something he likes. Turns out he does like the Nutri-Berries - though it's a way messier food since it breaks apart. As I understand it, I could use that as his food since it has pellets in it, and then add 20% fresh fruits & vegetables. I have considered getting the Harrison's Coarse to use as snacks, but I don't know if that is necessary?

He does NOT like fresh fruits and vegetables! I have gotten him to eat the inside of snowpeas - which is really cute... I open it up and hold it in front of him, and he gently grabs one of the tiny peas with his beak and pulls it out! And once he ate a little fresh cilantro - it was hanging out of both sides of his mouth like a mustache - I mean, couldn't you just squeeze your bird sometimes because of their cuteness?!?!? But it's a big fat NO to peeled grapes, cantaloupe, banana, strawberries, blueberries... He is a NUT MAN :32:

His snacks are roasted/unsalted pine nuts, peanuts (shelled and only rarely), sliced almonds, and pistachios (his favorite) - it is SO COOL to watch him crack open the pistachio, toss the top half of the shell, and hold the other half in his claws - sorta like a diva holding her loooong cigarette out to her side (do you get the visual?) - while he nibbles away at the awesome nut inside! I also pick out the individual nuts and seeds from the Kaytee and handfeed those (sunflower, pumpkin and corn suit his fancy).

When he is in his best mood - at about 6:30 or 7:00 at night (i.e., closing time at the pet store!) - he is a little more willing to try other food. Sometimes I can get him to eat a dried cranberry or raisin, a dried banana piece, or a piece of dried mango (I peel the sugary outside off), but that's as far as we have gotten so far.

PERSONALITY
Bolo isn't a demanding bird. I work at home and could easily keep Bolo in my office with me all day, but he is perfectly happy in the den by himself - with the occasional interruption to change his water and to give a couple of snacks and neck rubs while I'm at it.

At night he is much more active, but still in an understated way. He crawls around the outside of his cage begging for snacks, he chirps and squeaks and chatters, hangs off the side of his cage while he watches me pick out his next yum-yum, and always stops and drops his head when I say "can I rub your neck?" *** YAY, ME! I taught him that! *** He loves the neck rubs and will stand like a statue until I get tired of scratching!

Around 9:30 or 10, Bolo is ready to go to bed. He puffs up his body, lowers his head a little, and hunkers down on his perch. I give him one last neck rub, blow kisses, tell him good night, and cover three sides of his cage with a sheet.

Bolo is showing a preference for me. He likes my 16 year old son but for some reason he's decided he doesn't like my husband anymore. Today, I was alternating neck rubs and snacks when my husband walked by (about 10 feet away) and spoke. Bolo immediately turned his back on me and started to head down into his cage. When he realized my husband had kept walking, he stayed put!

I am not a patient person by nature, but just being around Bolo gives me peace. I can't say enough how gentle he is. He is also a little shy and skittish, so he needs me to be respectful and aware of his mood. I used to have to start talking from the next room to get him ready for me. Even now I can't just reach in and rub his head - I have to ask first. And Bolo doesn't really like to "step up", but will do it without fussing occasionally just to please me (I promise that's what he is doing!!!)

So... that's all the Bolo/Pionus info for now. But Bolo has lit a fire in me to get another bird when I have a little more experience and save up some money. I think I will be ready for a more interactive and demanding bird - one that will play with me more and that needs me more! Bolo will always have my heart since he is my first, but he has taught me that I am indeed parrot parent material!

~Julie

Most Reactions

Latest posts