I made chop!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I went to the shop and got a boatload of ingredients...may have been over ambitious :08: judging by the pile of food i ended up with...

Here, my mom is mixing and mixing and mixing...

IMG-20140105-00648_zpsd80b21f3.jpg

The monster bowl of CHOP. - remind you that I have ONE :green: and a tiny
:blue2:

IMG-20140105-00649_zps95bd9f11.jpg

We ended up with 45+ tubs of CHOP!

IMG-20140105-00650_zps47ace7b0.jpg

I put some into Percy's bowl for dinner and he gave it is best head-cocked "ehat the hell is THAT?!" look before nibbling on it for two seconds and going back to chewing wood... Should that be interpreted to mean wood is more appetising than my wonderful chop, I wonder?? :33:

Last edited:

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Put some salad dressing on that and I might eat it!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
that's too funny....

you can freeze it, which I think most of us do.

funny thing about 'chop mix'.....some to most love it.

I made chop mix yesterday with my new food processor I got for xmas....NONE of my birds touched it.....so now my dogs will be enjoying the fruits of my labour....grrrrr.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That looks delicious! To make the best first impression (since some parrots can get weird with new food), try crushing up his favorite treat (nut, nutriberry, small slices of his fave fruit, etc) and mixing it in with every serving or straight in the jars. It will give him a reason to dive in if he is not absolutely touching it. The idea is to give him the idea that it is food and it is yummy!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Thanks BoomBoom, I will try that if he continues to treat it like poison ;)

Beth - really?? OMG, I hope I don't have to feed it to my dogs!! They are so picky, they will never eat it :(

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
Wow, the chop looks delicious!!!!! I'd eat it in a heartbeat. My Oliver would surely love your chop. He chomps at the bit for anything crunchy and colorful...

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You're going to have to buy a new freezer haha! It looks delicious.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That chop looks amazing! when I made a bean mixture a few weeks ago, I was so disappointed because only Darwin ate much at all. So I froze the rest, and have been giving it once a week, and now everyone is eating at least a little bit. Don't give up! I think it may just take awhile for them to realize how good that stuff Mom made is:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How about I'll send my fids over? They'll gobble it right up. :D

That looks truly AMAZING!! Very well done!!! I'm confident your fids will take to it in no time. :)

And I'll double Squirt's idea about the dressing and munching on it myself. :54:

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Yay! I'm so excited to see others experiencing the joys of making chop! I have so much fun doing it =) what's in yours?

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Freespin - mine had in everything I could find ;)

Kale (yay! Found kale in our shops for the 1st time ever!)
Spinach
Red cabbage
Carrots
Butternut
Sweet potato
Green beans
Bell peppers
Corn
Cooked pasta shapes
Grains - split peas, lentils, barley, grouts, brown rice
Sprinkle of mixed seeds - sesame, linseed, pumkinseeds

In the morning, I add his whole snap peas, two slices of corn on the cob and some chopped fruit to the mix, before serving.

After he initially suspected that I was trying to poison him, he has taken to the chop like nobody's business! LOL!! He loves it and eats until half his face is covered in bits and pieces :)

I must admit - I've put off making chop for the longest time because I thought it would never work but it did! It is brilliant! And the tips I got here to keep the mix as dry as possible, really helped! Drying and chopping all that veg was a challenge because I don't have a salad spinner or food processor so I had to do it all by hand!

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Glad he likes eat! My two eat almost anything anyway luckily. I will have to try keeping mine dry haha it never occurred to me and mine is always a pretty sloppy mess by the time it's defrosted (not that I get complaints)... I can't find kale here... Will have to look harder

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
When it's been defrosted and got a bit of moisture in it, it just all melds together more. It's more like tabbouleh than a chopped salad.

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
I've been sprinkling a few pomegranate seeds on top. Today I mixed them in and she picked them out. She really likes them. It might be something to try. :)

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I got a soup mix! So excited to try it =) it has brand and peas abd lentils

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
It works very well, Freespin! My boy is loving it. Just remember not to add anything to it until it is almost cooked (what my package instructions said).

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Nelson - Male Eclectus
What else did you add to yours? Do you think it's worth trying to sprout some of the beans in it?

Most Reactions

Latest posts