I made too much chop

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
It actually tastes pretty good which gave me the idea to try an experiment. I'm going to eat the same diet as the bird for a month. With bigger portions and a couple of variations of course.

My current chop consists of quinoa, carrot, tomato, apple, kale, jalapeno, butternut squash, broccoli, chick peas, black beans, zucchini and yellow squash.

This is a sample diet:

Breakfast: 1 slice sprouted grain toast topped with chop and boiled or scrambled egg.

Snack: Handful of nuts or seeds/ only one for Peanut.

Lunch: 1 slice of sprouted grain toast topped with chop and low sodium tuna. No tuna for Peanut because it probably has too much traces of mercury.

Snack: Piece of fruit

Dinner: Broiled unsalted cod, chop and sweet potato. Plus 2 or 6 glasses of wine. None for poor Peanut, but she does get millet spray, nutria-berries and pellets during the day to make up for it. I won't be indulging in the nutria-berries, millet and pellets.

Last edited:

ahmadses

Apr 14, 2017
Loudoun County, Virginia
Parrots
Two Budgies
Bandit and Sparky after my two favorite characters in a game called Clash Royale
I wish you the best of luck in your en devours, and let me know if you loose weight, I might just become a bird myself too!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hope this works LOL?

Potentially the nutriberries and pellets would be better than the wine!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
:D I always encourage owners to try everything they offer to their bird (very insightful into why they like or dislike certain foods, recipes etc...). Eating the exact same for a month? That's awesome! Sounds like it'll be healthy for you and your bird.

We eat healthy and that equates to a very similar diet to our bird with lots of grains, beans, veg and fruit and it allows us the ability to share much of our food with him without concern. Creates a nice ability to bond and share flock meal times when you can offer them meaningful amounts of what your having:)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
:D I always encourage owners to try everything they offer to their bird (very insightful into why they like or dislike certain foods, recipes etc...). Eating the exact same for a month? That's awesome! Sounds like it'll be healthy for you and your bird.

We eat healthy and that equates to a very similar diet to our bird with lots of grains, beans, veg and fruit and it allows us the ability to share much of our food with him without concern. Creates a nice ability to bond and share flock meal times when you can offer them meaningful amounts of what your having:)

Me too! Preparing chop in the morning means 1 or 2 birds on my shoulder as breakfast is made for birds and parront!

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Not only is it convenient to have pre-chopped veg, beans and fruit for the bird, it's convenient for me too because it's ready to add to anything. Scrambled eggs, turkey burgers, stir fry, soup....

Next time I'm going to leave the quinoa separate, however, that just made it a mealy mushy mess. Before I added that it was just vegetables and some beans which was fine, but the quinoa ruined it for me. Oh well, the bird likes it and it was initially intended for her anyway lol.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LOL, Saltys current batch of chop is WAY too hot for human consumption. Lots of ghostt, habenero and jalapeno peppers.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
My ol' man eats that diet, pretty much. Plus, he's an avid cyclist. He's fit and thin. I hate him. The Rbird is skinny. So's our dog. I hate 'em all.

I'm the only one who really eats around here.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I like really spicy food, but the ghost peppers are way too hot even for me. I like habaneros and jalapenos though. Sometimes when I'm cooking I get carried away with the hot pepper and can't tell that it's that hot, but my kids and husband start choking like they're going to die. Wimps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts