Mar 30, 2023
Parrots
Indian ring neck (Female)
Hello! I just found this site and was hoping for some advice.
I have had my amazing female albino ring neck who is about to turn 1 year old in April for about 5 months. She has a great personality and I love her to death. I ended up buying her from some sketchy place that was very unhelpful and obviously didn’t take care of their birds. She had a lost toe (which grew back luckily), and was scared of most things. She came into my family right after I was dealing with the heartbreak of losing my quaker, and when I saw her horrible state and how she refused to leave my arms I knew I had to bring her home.

Fast forward to today, we walked into our local bird shop (which is absolutely the best store ever. They take care of all their birds so well. ) and we noticed they had Indian ring neck babies. These babies are about 4 weeks old and are still being hand feed three times a day. I have always wanted a colorful ring neck, mainly a violet or blue one, so when I was handed a blue lacewing male I was in love. He was so chill and just sat in my hand looking for more food even though he had just eaten. Adorable! We are going to go back tomorrow and see if he is still there so we can try and get the whole family on board. We asked the lady all kinds of questions, so we know that we would have to give them separate cages to be in at night so they don’t become bonded and start to get aggressive. I truly don’t want a mated pair, I want them to still be my pets not just for breeding. (which I had not intentions of doing anyways.) But now I’m in a dilemma. Should I get this baby and risk my female not accepting him? And if I get him and my female doesn’t like him am I now suck with two birds who hate each other? How do I even introduce these two? Would my female not like me as much if she accepts the male? Is this even a smart idea? I would also feel bad because I feel like I’m getting another one for no reason. Any advice helps! I’m just really unsure since I love my female so much already I wouldn’t want to hurt her anymore than she already had been. I also don’t want to stress her or the baby out any, but I know the sooner the better it is to get another addition.

Thank you to anyone who replies!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Getting an assitional parrot is always a gamble. There is no way to predict how one parrot will socialize with existing ones and with you. Usually it turns out one of 3 ways. One- they hate each other but love you. Two - they love each other but now you are the odd man out and they drift away from your relationship. Three - everyone gets along just fine. With many variations on the above.

I will always say - get an additional parrot if YOU want one, not because you think your parrot does. If you think that, I would put more effort in strengthening the bond you already have with your parrot. A well bonded, engaged parrot, with a satisfying social life, does not NEED an additional buddy.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
There is an unintentionally hilarious fourth option, in addition to what wrench outlined - they hate each other, they hate YOU, they love another family member who isn’t a primary caregiver!

Speaking from experience. Ask yourself first if you have time for a second bird - as in, time to spend with both birds equally, in a way that doesn’t reduce your time with your current bird. If the answer is no, then reconsider. Nothing is worse than diving into a second bird, especially if it turns out one of the ways in which the only manner they engage with you is aggression, and you suddenly find yourself in over your head.

I have found it helpful, when I am tempted to get another bird but decide it’s not a good idea, to instead go buy toys for my current parrot, haha.

If you think in spite of all the things we have outlined you still want a second bird, that’s totally ok also! It’s important to quarantine the new bird for at least a month to be sure he isn’t sick, and during that time take him in for an avian exam at your vet. They do need separate cages, and at first especially separate “out” and interactive time. Reward your current bird before engaging with the new bird, either with treats or a favorite toy, so that when she sees new bird it is a positive experience. Take everything slowly!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My ringneck is not "tame" and has always preferred to sit in the window and talk to the birds outside. So I did decide to get a second bird. They are in separate cages in the same room (after quarantine period and vet checks). It took my new bird, who was still really young, a few months to learn my ringneck's boundaries but now I can trust them out together without needing to be in the room at all times.

So for me it's worked out really well so far! It's definitely more work because my newer bird needs more attention from me and one on one time, so I stagger the times they get up and go to bed so that he can get his social needs met. And I'm mentally a lot more tired since they have different foraging and play preferences and I'm still learning!

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Hello! I just found this site and was hoping for some advice.
I have had my amazing female albino ring neck who is about to turn 1 year old in April for about 5 months. She has a great personality and I love her to death. I ended up buying her from some sketchy place that was very unhelpful and obviously didn’t take care of their birds. She had a lost toe (which grew back luckily), and was scared of most things. She came into my family right after I was dealing with the heartbreak of losing my quaker, and when I saw her horrible state and how she refused to leave my arms I knew I had to bring her home.

Fast forward to today, we walked into our local bird shop (which is absolutely the best store ever. They take care of all their birds so well. ) and we noticed they had Indian ring neck babies. These babies are about 4 weeks old and are still being hand feed three times a day. I have always wanted a colorful ring neck, mainly a violet or blue one, so when I was handed a blue lacewing male I was in love. He was so chill and just sat in my hand looking for more food even though he had just eaten. Adorable! We are going to go back tomorrow and see if he is still there so we can try and get the whole family on board. We asked the lady all kinds of questions, so we know that we would have to give them separate cages to be in at night so they don’t become bonded and start to get aggressive. I truly don’t want a mated pair, I want them to still be my pets not just for breeding. (which I had not intentions of doing anyways.) But now I’m in a dilemma. Should I get this baby and risk my female not accepting him? And if I get him and my female doesn’t like him am I now suck with two birds who hate each other? How do I even introduce these two? Would my female not like me as much if she accepts the male? Is this even a smart idea? I would also feel bad because I feel like I’m getting another one for no reason. Any advice helps! I’m just really unsure since I love my female so much already I wouldn’t want to hurt her anymore than she already had been. I also don’t want to stress her or the baby out any, but I know the sooner the better it is to get another addition.

Thank you to anyone who replies!
I think that you can take time to be with her more, when she gets more ”adult” You can think about it but as for now maybe its the best to just spend time with her😄

Most Reactions