I need help diagnosing my lovebirds

RemyC

Oct 8, 2019
I have 2 male lovebirds, Apple and Mango around 4-5 years old. My local vets are useless with birds so I need some help from someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Over the summer they started standing on one leg pressing the other foot against their stomach. That has almost stopped (now it's 3-4 times a week and for minutes at a time instead of every day for a longer time) but they're eating around a 3rd of the amount they used to and they're closing their eyes or squinting a lot.
The only change in the environment since the summer is that I've grown plants in the room with them. Could that be affecting them?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Your best bet is to find the nearest avian vet, pack up your birds in a carrier and drive there, even if a few hours it sounds like your birds need a professional. If they are eating a lot less than normal and standing on one leg puffed up a lot, it means they are sick and they can get worse quickly without the right help at hand.

It could be anything from an infection to a life threatening illness like heart or liver problems, there really is no way to know unless an actual bird vet ges to them to check them all over. None of us here can give you the answers you are looking for, as it could be anything really and we don't know their history, how long you have had them, when their last vet visit was, what you feed them, what their bond is like, etc.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As stated, observations from on far from other like Parrot Lovers cannot replace the hands on observations of an Avian Professionals.

As an example, some of what you present can be seen as common resting positions of Birds. Standing on one leg and lifting the other is not common, especially as the weather changes and they use their feet to help adjust their body temperature.

The reduction in food intake can indicate an illness and is call for much closer attention. One of the tools that we use is keeping a log of our Parrots weight, which is taken first thing in the morning after his first movement and prior to providing water and food. The combination of weight loss and not eating would have us on our way to an Avian Professional.

Another insight as to the well-being of our Parrots is the color and contain of their moment (poop). Color changes and wetness can be strong indicators of the health of one's Parrot.

Regarding Plants, that depends heavily on what Plants you have.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Any update? Were you able to find a vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

RemyC

Oct 8, 2019
I managed to find a vet. He thinks it's a microbial infection, he's given them an injection of antibiotics and a course to mix with their water. I'm just hoping now, that they pull through.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I’m
Glad to hear you found help! Please let us know how they do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The facts that a) You have introduced something new into their environment (plants) and
b) they are both doing the same thing for the same amount of time, make me think this not a shared, natural behavior. CAV, as all have advised. Like real soon!

Good Luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts