I need help finding

DK11

Jun 22, 2017
Hello I need help finding a bird I've wanted one for 2 years but I face a problem I go to school at 7 in the morning and get out at 3 in the afternoon but have plenty of time to spend with the bird after school but I have another problem I live with my mom on the weekdays but with my dad on the weekends so I would have to transport my bird back and forth so I would need a smaller bird like a parakeet but I would like cockatiel please help what is the best bird to buy or should I not get a bird at all

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I won't say you shouldn't get a bird at all, but I would definitely advise against getting one RIGHT NOW. All that upheaval in a bird's life would t be good, not would it be wise to buy one so soon before college/career beginnings. I know it seems like you know what will happen in your life but you really can't know yet and it isn't fair to all the birdies who get abandoned when kids move out of the house. Even a parakeet can live 12 years and a cockatiel 30. They are a huge commitment. I say this as someone who has birds as a child; parting with them when I went to college ripped my heart out and wasn't fair to them.

And that's not even getting into the financial side of things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Hello I need help finding a bird I've wanted one for 2 years but I face a problem I go to school at 7 in the morning and get out at 3 in the afternoon but have plenty of time to spend with the bird after school but I have another problem I live with my mom on the weekdays but with my dad on the weekends so I would have to transport my bird back and forth so I would need a smaller bird like a parakeet but I would like cockatiel please help what is the best bird to buy or should I not get a bird at all

Are both of your parents onboard with getting a cockatiel? They can be awesome friends for a lifestyle like yours! They often do not stress as easily as some birds, when my daughter's cockatiels were babies, they traveled with us on several family getaways including a 14 hour drive to Pigeon Forge in the Smokey Mountains. They were well traveled little ones! No issues or stress, quite happy to be with everyone.

If both parents are on board and happy to help with the setup, the best thing would be to get two cages and set them up with same variety of perches and same toys. Then have a nice travel cage for the transportation.

With having the school schedule, make sure your tiel has lots and lots of toys and things to keep her engaged and busy during the day while you are away. Some people even program the TV to turn on and off so there some activity or such in the room.

I am the Adoption Coordinator for a parrot rescue, we have adopted small birds to many families that have kids interested in birds, but the key is that parents are involved and committed to all the cost of care, vet checkups, piles and piles of toys, healthy foods (both pellets, mixes and fresh foods)... but if parents are committed to being the backup for care and involved with the bird too, then its the potential for a wonderful happy life for a cockatiel!

There are a few buts... obviously your parents being involved, but also that you or someone else in your home has hours everyday to commit to socialize with your cockatiel. Hanging out with you from time you get home from school to do homework, having dinner with you and either parent, and some family flock time before bed is awesome. That is a big but tho... getting involved in school activities, sports, dating, cars, etc, etc, etc... and eventually college are things to consider too. I know lots to think of, but these are the things we talk about with kids and families looking for a bird. Again, if your parents engage with the bird in addition to you, then win win for everyone!

My babbling is done!

Most Reactions