I need help picking out Baby's cage!

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Wisconsin :)
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
I just got a Red Lored Amazon, believed to be in her 20s, who is missing the toes on her left foot, so its pretty much a stump. She was also a bad plucker, but has stopped now, and her feathers are growing in slowly. In all her years I dont think she's ever been in a proper sized cage for an Amazon. I was told by the lady I got Baby from that she shouldn't be put in a large cage, since she can't get around easy due to her disability. She said she gets too exausted trying to move around the cage, that she becomes stressed out by it.

Well I think its total rubbish. I feel that with the proper perches and set up she will be more then happy in such a large home. I think that it would help with her growing her feathers back and make her happier overall.

Now then question is, do I follow my gut, or listen to the lady who rehabilitated Baby and got her so far along already???

I'm thinking the only way to find out would be to get her a bigger cage and see what happens.

I plan on using this site to get one online. Which one of these cages to you think would be best for Baby and her disability? I think I would like one with a playtop, since she loves sitting on top her cage, and one with seed guards is a must. I would like to stay under $300, which there are a ton on her in that price range.

**Sorry the link won't work, but all you have to do is go on Ebay and type in Parrot Cage, thats where I plan on getting it.**

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Last edited:

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I saw the picture of her cage in the other thread you posted and I definitely think that cage is too small. It looks like she can barely spread her wings all the way without touching the sided of the cage. Like you said earlier, I don't think a very tall cage would be good but a longer one would be great. Do you feel like Baby is frustrated when she is moving around? Does it look like she is struggling at all? Just wondering on your own opinion. Maybe she never got the chance to exercise so she hasn't had the opportunity to master walking and climbing with a nub.

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
Honestly, I don't think she has any problems getting around on perches and climbing the walls. I bought a ton of those rope perches and attached them all over the outside of cage and she seems to like climbing them. It does take her a long time to find her balance, but overall I think she does pretty well. She just takes her time moving along things so she doesnt fall, which is my biggest worry in a big cage, that she'll fall and hurt herself.

She's never really in her cage now, she's normally on top of it or out with me. She just goes in to eat and poop lol. She normally falls asleep on top the cage, then moves into the cage later in the night.

CaptRodney

Dec 18, 2010
Honestly, I don't think she has any problems getting around on perches and climbing the walls. I bought a ton of those rope perches and attached them all over the outside of cage and she seems to like climbing them. It does take her a long time to find her balance, but overall I think she does pretty well. She just takes her time moving along things so she doesnt fall, which is my biggest worry in a big cage, that she'll fall and hurt herself.

She's never really in her cage now, she's normally on top of it or out with me. She just goes in to eat and poop lol. She normally falls asleep on top the cage, then moves into the cage later in the night.

I always thing the larger the cage the better for my B&G I have a really large cage I think this give them pleny of room to roam in the cage and feel comfortable

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
Follow your gut instincts on this one. I don't see how having more room would be a bad thing. As long as its more long than tall :) I saw the cage from your other post that she was originally in and its tiny. To put it in perspective it would be like us spending the majority of our day in a closet :S

OP
G

Gypsy

Dec 19, 2010
Parrots
Baby-Red Lored Amazon
Well, yes, I know its way too small, which is why I'm getting her a new one right away. The lady I got her from made it sound like her cage was the perfect size for her, which is why I didn't get one before hand. I just don't want to pick out one that won't work. I'm on a pretty tight budget and can't afford to buy multiple cages. Luckily Baby's going into the vet this week, so I'm thinking that the vet will know the best type of cage for her.

Most Reactions