I need help taming

RobbieTheBudgie

Mar 12, 2023
Parrots
Budgie
Hi! I wouldn't normally come to other sites for help but I need some, i have 2 budgies, both about a year old, and I am having quite a lot of trouble taming them. I've had them for about 1-2 months and despite what I've been doing and following, they are still scared as they were when I bought them. One of them is slightly clipped due to the pet shop I bought him from clipping him. Robbie (the younger) has managed to get close enough to my hand that he will eat millet from it, whereas Rambo (the other budgie) won't come near unless he sees Robbie eating from it. None of them have ever stepped on my finger or even come near it unless I have millet. Along with that my budgies basically live outside of the cage, they only go in when I have school. Therefore they stay out at night and in the day all weekend. Is this okay and any help with the taming?

Ronnie27

Oct 13, 2022
México
Parrots
Esmeralda, Perla, Arcoiris, Kiwi
Hi! It seems you are on a good path.
The first step to tame a bird is to gain its trust. You have gained Robbie and Rambo's trust to eat millet from your hand.
I think this video may be helpful for you and your little boys:
In fact, the channel is full of bird training videos.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots (and budgies are definitely parrots) move on a different time scale then humans do. Their rate of acceptance of change is GLACIAL, especially when compared to our quick monkey brains. Like Ronnie27 said, you have a good start already, so build upon that. Parrots are all about trust. You need to measure everything you do with or about them against that yardstick. "Does this build or destroy trust" should be your daily mantra. Give your budgies the time they need to develop the trust you seek.

Most Reactions