I need help

gypsybug97

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
Pineapple conure and Cherry head conure
I have a 9 month old pineapple conure. She lives a very free lifestyle within the walls of my bedroom. The rest of my family has animals that I just don’t want to risk it with Munchi(my bird). Munchi is flighted, she has free roam pretty much at all times even at night she sleeps in the same spot outside of her cage every day. She has a lot of personality, very spunky and feisty but doesn’t bite to hurt me. She does have an issue with other people being near me tho. Which leads me to the possible cause of my issue. I recently rescued a Cherry Head conure. Bigger than Munchi I named her Mooni. While it is currently the first day Munchi relentlessly attacks Mooni. She also makes no efforts to talk to Mooni. Mooni doesn’t engage the fights and she also talks a ton. Little worried these two won’t be able to get along because so far I’ve tried everything on the internet and that my bird friends have recommended. Unfortunately can’t put them in separate rooms, but they do have separate cages, toys and space on either side of the room. The relentlessness of the attack is what concerns me. Munchi no matter how many times you separate them or try to give them treats together always goes for Mooni. I’m worried one of them will get hurt, and I hate keeping them in cages so often. I know this is probably a jealousy issue as well as new bird issue but I am worried about my relationship with my birds and their health so Id like as many opinions as I can get. I am going to keep trying to give them treats together and having them sleep next to each other but if anyone knows something better to do that would be great. Thanks in Advanced.

OP
gypsybug97

gypsybug97

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
Mooni, also tips for getting Mooni to let me pet her would be cool. I just got her but she’s 3 years old currently Munchi I got when she was a baby so things were much easier I believe.

Attachments

• 847701DE-8936-4490-B790-FC6217101454.jpeg
    847701DE-8936-4490-B790-FC6217101454.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 57

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I commend you on giving your parrots full-room liberty. I have 3 1/2 years of experience with this. I had an adult Sun Conure, who died of heart disease after a year with me. I then got a younger, adult Peach-fronted Conure. I got him a five-year-old Green-cheeked companion, and I got them a five-year-old Brown-throated Conure.

I don't know how young pair-bonding can be formed, but it sounds as though Munchi is pair-bonded to you, which would explain the jealousy of other humans and of another parrot. Munchi is probably territorial of your entire shared-nest room, too.

Please be extremely cautious. Fights between parrots of different species, age (physical maturity), size, strength, etc. can quickly result in serious injury--especially beak damage. I have dealt with this three times (I am sad and ashamed to admit), each time thinking I could prevent it from ever happening again. It can be life ending, or life altering (a parrot that cannot eat normally ever again). I don't want to freak you out, but trust me, it is serious.

I am very pro-liberty, to an extent most people would consider ridiculous. I caution you: keep them from being able to fight. It could go terrible in a second.

Introducing an additional parrot, into a confined space, after Munchi has been there long enough to lay claim to the whole place will be quite a challenge, especially given her bond to you. If you could put them both in a new room (trade rooms in the house, perhaps?), that would help, but it is unlikely to make everything okay.

As best you can, give them separate (safe) space, and plenty of time to adjust.

OP
gypsybug97

gypsybug97

Sep 29, 2022
Parrots
I commend you on giving your parrots full-room liberty. I have 3 1/2 years of experience with this. I had an adult Sun Conure, who died of heart disease after a year with me. I then got a younger, adult Peach-fronted Conure. I got him a five-year-old Green-cheeked companion, and I got them a five-year-old Brown-throated Conure.

I don't know how young pair-bonding can be formed, but it sounds as though Munchi is pair-bonded to you, which would explain the jealousy of other humans and of another parrot. Munchi is probably territorial of your entire shared-nest room, too.

Please be extremely cautious. Fights between parrots of different species, age (physical maturity), size, strength, etc. can quickly result in serious injury--especially beak damage. I have dealt with this three times (I am sad and ashamed to admit), each time thinking I could prevent it from ever happening again. It can be life ending, or life altering (a parrot that cannot eat normally ever again). I don't want to freak you out, but trust me, it is serious.

I am very pro-liberty, to an extent most people would consider ridiculous. I caution you: keep them from being able to fight. It could go terrible in a second.

Introducing an additional parrot, into a confined space, after Munchi has been there long enough to lay claim to the whole place will be quite a challenge, especially given her bond to you. If you could put them both in a new room (trade rooms in the house, perhaps?), that would help, but it is unlikely to make everything okay.

As best you can, give them separate (safe) space, and plenty of time to adjust.
Switching rooms could be an option. I’m going to ask my sister and see if maybe she would be okay with it. I didn’t think of that. Going to try anything I can no matter how extreme I’ve been looking into room dividers too. I just want them to both be happy I love my birds even just getting Mooni today. I’m going to look into every route so I can go to get them back to a free schedule. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Switching rooms could be an option. I’m going to ask my sister and see if maybe she would be okay with it. I didn’t think of that. Going to try anything I can no matter how extreme I’ve been looking into room dividers too. I just want them to both be happy I love my birds even just getting Mooni today. I’m going to look into every route so I can go to get them back to a free schedule. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.
A room divider is a good idea. I have two. They come in handy. Sometimes just making it so they cannot see each other makes a difference, but it is not full protection of course..

I also use "bird netting" to section off areas temporarily. It is meant for protecting an outdoor garden from birds. It is cheap and works great inside, too. They can chew through it quickly if left to. I have it hanging in my foyer doorway, so no birds can fly straight out the door. They never land on it or chew it, because they are not trying to get to the other side.

I used it to try to make a temporary aviary inside, and my female Senegal took a few days to discover she could fly to it, cling on, chew a hole, somersault through, and get into the aviary. I've since replaced it with stainless-steel "gopher" mesh.

I posted a photo here:

Most Reactions

Latest posts