I need some advice

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek and pineapple conure
Okay so I have a pineapple conure that will be 5 this month and her name is Lucy. Her cage is in the living room and I take her out frequently during the day. She loves to be at the window over kitchen sink.
my 24 year old daughter recently moved out and can not take her green cheek conure. His name is poppy and his cage is upstairs in her old room. My question is would it be okay to move Lucy (my bird) upstairs in my daughters old room where her bird is? They get along but need to be watched if together. He gets very overprotective of her when I come near her. I just feel bad he is up there by himself and they scream through the ceiling to one another. Thought maybe if I bought her up there they could keep each other company. In separate cages obviously and supervised when together. What should I do? Any suggestions.
image.jpg
9F1D6A4E-CABE-4954-BD0A-355A0AD65CB7.jpeg

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
Do you have some way to watch them when there both upstairs to make sure there not fighting? A nanny cam would work perfectly for that.
Well I would have them in separate cages when upstairs unattended. I just don’t know what to do. They both scream to each other.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Have the been introduced and are they ok with each other?

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
Have the been introduced and are they ok with each other?
Yes we both got them at the same time. My daughters will be 5 this month too. I occasionally bring her up there to see him and they are fine but like I said he becomes very protective of her. Gets very close to her and if go near them he like guards her. I would never have them together without being supervised

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Well I would have them in separate cages when upstairs unattended. I just don’t know what to do. They both scream to each other.
I think you should do an introduction period and if that goes well, start having 'sleepovers' where they sleep in eachothers cage but still seperate.

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
Yes we both got them at the same time. My daughters will be 5 this month too. I occasionally bring her up there to see him and they are fine but like I said he becomes very protective of her. Gets very close to her and if go near them he like guards her. I would never have them together without being supervised

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 76
OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
How could I keep them separate if they sleep on each other cages?
If they are bonded to the point of wanting to sleep together, let them. Sometimes birds have little tussels, dont worry!

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
If they are bonded to the point of wanting to sleep together, let them. Sometimes birds have little tussels, dont worry!
They’ve never slept together. This is all still new with my daughter moving out and leaving her bird behind. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep both cages in one room and supervised when both out. I just don’t like how protective her gets of her. Especially when I come close he goes right over to her and guards her so I won’t take her.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
They’ve never slept together. This is all still new with my daughter moving out and leaving her bird behind. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep both cages in one room and supervised when both out. I just don’t like how protective her gets of her. Especially when I come close he goes right over to her and guards her so I won’t take her.
You really need to let go. I'm sorry, but they're gonna love their own species that they can communicate with and spend all their time with more than you. They'll still pay attention to you, they'll just have something to do when you leave them alone.

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
You really need to let go. I'm sorry, but they're gonna love their own species that they can communicate with and spend all their time with more than you. They'll still pay attention to you, they'll just have something to do when you leave them alone.
And that’s fine. I have no problem with that. Was just worried how they would be with the room change and both cages in same room. And what do you mean by let go? So I should close the cage with them both inside and hopefully he don’t hurt her??

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
And that’s fine. I have no problem with that. Was just worried how they would be with the room change and both cages in same room. And what do you mean by let go? So I should close the cage with them both inside and hopefully he don’t hurt her??
Let go meaning don't keep them from being together if they have a strong bond. They will get used to the room change, and supervise them the first couple time, for sure. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My advice is to move both cages to their living room main part of house.

You can have cages side by side and out together but sleep and caged separate when not supervision.

There is no reason the birds can't like each other and still like you. I've had /have bonded burds that still have a great bond with me. You have to spend the time with them to maintain your relationship. Time with each one on one, and time with both out with you together. Burds are capable of complex social lives and flock. There msybe increase cage ( territory) guarding that you have to work around.

OP
L

Lucysmom43

Jan 10, 2022
Parrots
My advice is to move both cages to their living room main part of house.

You can have cages side by side and out together but sleep and caged separate when not supervision.

There is no reason the birds can't like each other and still like you. I've had /have bonded burds that still have a great bond with me. You have to spend the time with them to maintain your relationship. Time with each one on one, and time with both out with you together. Burds are capable of complex social lives and flock. There msybe increase cage ( territory) guarding that you have to work around.
I currently have my bird in the living room but there is no room to add another cage. Very small living room. I’ve currently been taking my daughters bird and bringing him downstairs and vice versa for a few hours at a time. He does try to bite me when I try to take her away or to even have him come to me. He is on the right and she is underneath him. That’s what I mean about guarding her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 78

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Make place for them to hang out: but not in the cage together. That will make things better. The Cage is like a nest territory
Instead as d set up perches and treats in neutral location
Here are examples

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts