I need some advice.

Lilithmonstar

Sep 17, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure - envy
Green wing macaw -margarita
Two cockatiels -Gaston and Bella
I have wanted a macaw for as long as I remember my step dads grandma had one as a kid and it amazed me.

I was so lucky and was given an amazing macaw and now I'm trying to work with her.
She seems scared a lot. She does let me pet her and give her treats with no fear of her eating my fingers with said treats. She is older , 18 years and I love her so much already.

She let me hold her once and that was awesome. One big issue I have is she climbs on top of her cage or the cage door, this cage is huge like I'd think almost w feet taller than I am. And she will not step down to me so if she doesn't go back in her cage there isn't much I can do. It doest feel safe to try and stand on a chair and then try to climb off the chair with her.

Idk how to get her to trust me to come to me from the top of her cage (on the outside not the inside)
The one time she let me hold her she had climbed down to my smaller birds play stand and I got her from there.
20220914_145023.jpg

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Search target training on this forum. It would help you both. It worked like a charm for me and my nanday but she was the opposite. She wouldn't come out or her cagešŸ¤” any ways I won't bother with reposting a how to but the idea is to teach her to touch the end of a stick then give a treat.
For my kid I had to first get her to target inside the cage then placed the stick to where she had to move closer to the door to touch it and receive the treat. Once they realize to GO TO the stick you can move them almost anywhere. Hope this helps there is alot of info here about target training

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How about getting a stepstool so your bird isnā€™t so much higher than you when youā€™re close to the cage?

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Target training is a great idea! Useful for other things too!
I get mine to willingly go back in his cage by placing a peanut in his food bowl. This is the only time he gets a peanut, so he's happy to oblige.

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Its very helpful there's alot of ways to use the skill too. I've been targeting my new kid toward new and potentially scary objects. Lately I've been targeting my bird in and out of his travel carrier. As long as there's sunflower seeds involved he's a pretty brave guy

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thatā€™s a great thing to target train ahead of time! If you need him in the carrier fast it will really help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts