I need suggestions on how to stop caique from screaming

Graziella

Dec 15, 2021
I have a 1 year and 10 month old male caique. He has plenty of toys, gets a lot of time out of the cage and is never alone as he is always with the mini macow and they are best buddies. He is adorable on some days, (still shouts on some occasions) but have full trust in me, plays and he even sleeps in my hands. On other days however, he is completely different and doesn't want to stop shouting for hours and trying to attack me all the time. He jumps at me and bites me until blood comes out, even when he is out of the cage with toys around. Most of the time he shouts and attacks is when I'm at home and I am doing something else which I cannot let him on me to do, like cleaning. I think he wants me to stay with him 24 hours a day and takes it very bad if I don't, even when he has the mini macow (who is also very attached to me) always next to him. Can you give some suggestions what I can do to stop him from shouting. I live in a small flat and the shouting bothers the neighbors and it makes it impossible for us to work at home.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Big wing hugs
welcoming the three of you...

Little clique, who is hand tamed and sleeps in your hands what's his name?

And the name of the mini macow (who is also very attached to you) always next to him?

The two birds are affectionate to what degree? Are they displaying courtship?
Sexual instinct could lead to jealousy and aggressive behaviour.

Theory 1........
He might bite you to stop playing with the mini macaw.

To test this theory, play with one bird at a time in another room. Let's see how it goes. He should bite less if he bite to stop you from playing with his buddy.

This thread about bite strength works well with Emerald, hope it does the same for you.

Post in thread 'Bite pressure training?' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/bite-pressure-training.63988/post-598712

Another problem is, he shout for hours, attack and draw blood. Most of the time when he shouts and attacks is when you are doing something else, like cleaning. You think he takes it very bad if you don't play with him all the time.

This behavior need correction ASAP
So please explain more, so we can understand the situation better.
....After he shout, what did you do?
....when is his out of cage time?
...and how long?
...and what did the mini macaw do?

Please give more details, so that our experienced members can better assist you.

OP
G

Graziella

Dec 15, 2021
Thank you for your reply. The caique is Mango and mini macow is Ricco, they were born 1 week apart and were in the same box as babies at the shop were I got them, so they are together since they didn't even have feathers. I got them together when they were around 5- 6 weeks old. They fight sometimes, as Ricco likes to annoy Mango, but Mango is very protective over him. If I shout at Ricco, Mango will attack me. If I take Ricco in another room to play alone with him, Mango would get very angry (I guess because I didnt take him as well) and they shout for each other when are separated. Ricco the macow follows me everywhere and it is almost impossible to get him off me. Mango on the other hand plays on his own as well. They do not shout and stay quiet when I am not home and there is only my boyfriend. But as soon as I get home, they start shouting and they want me to stay in the same room. The problem mostly is during weekends, as I am at home all day, and if I get out of the room to do something else, the shouting starts, Ricco shouts as well but never gets angry. Mango gets very angry however and starts attacking. He only calms down if I put him on my shoulder and take him everywhere I go. When he shouts, first I try to calm him down by giving him wooden toys to break, but after a while, I try to close him in the cage and cover him or scare him to stop but he gets even more mad. During the week, they are out in the evenings around 2-3 hours, most days watching movies with us until they sleep on me and other days playing with toys. During the weekends, they are out of the cage all day long. We keep them in room with close doors and they have a lot of toys hanging around the room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts