I need three hands to put on a harness???? Help?? πŸ˜‚

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
A 1 year old budgie named Leeli Wingfeather <3
This probably sounds dumb, but can someone train me how to put on a bird harness?? πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ It feels like I need one hand to hold her, one hand to put the harness over her head, and another to hold the treats. Does that mean I need to get her to the point where she'll put her head through without treats? That doesn't really seem possible lol. My hands are too small to hold her and the treat in front of her at the same time and I'm just really confused lol. Thx in advance πŸ˜‚ πŸ™

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I am having the same problem with our Amazon who was previously harness trained!! I know I’ve gotten it on him before, but it’s been a couple years since I last did it, and of course he wants nothing to do with it now!! I have no idea how I managed without at least two or three extra hands. I’ll be following this to see if anyone has good tips for you! 🀞

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
I am having the same problem with our Amazon who was previously harness trained!! I know I’ve gotten it on him before, but it’s been a couple years since I last did it, and of course he wants nothing to do with it now!! I have no idea how I managed without at least two or three extra hands. I’ll be following this to see if anyone has good tips for you! 🀞
Oh interesting... Good to know I'm not alone but oof having your bird unlearn something must be frustrating πŸ˜…

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I think he probably tolerated it and is over it now that he’s been free for a while. :LOL: Or they used to put it on him differently? No idea. He also came with a tiny, adorable parrot sized hoodie. Never once got him into it - the murderous stare I got when I presented it was sufficient.

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ A parrot hoodie??? Never heard of that, that's hilarious

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I have somehow misplaced a whole box of funny things like that hoodie, but if it ever turns up again I’ll take a photo. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it either. Had wing cut outs and everything.

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
:ROFLMAO:

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
@ravvlet i figured it out, but I also realized it might not work for bigger birds? Basically I have to hold millet spray clenched with three fingers while my thumb and pointer finger hold the harness. I position that hand so she has to get through the harness to get the seed, then use the other hand to hold her. This method was a huge breakthrough honestly. I also learned that just in case the wing strap gets too large and her talon gets caught on it, it's easier to fix/not have happen if she's on my thumb. Again, probably won't work for big birds.

ALSO I learned that she's more willing to put her head through my fingers even when they're creating the same size as the harness. So each training session I start with just my fingers, then I put the loop just inside my fingers so it's being held in place. Once again, won't work for a big bird but hey. πŸ˜…

I also learned that having a very wide wing strap for her to put her head through but THEN tightening it slowly when it's on is a GREAT way to get her used to the neck strap feeling without her yet having to decide if she trusts a small loop. All while holding her so she doesn't flip backwards ofc.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I have a sneaky suspicion my old guy is going to give me a hard time and probably a few new bruises before we figure it out. Those are all great ideas!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
Oof good luck πŸ˜‚

Progress today: got the harness on and over one wing before I realized 1) I put it on wrong and 2) there's no easy way to take it off without her freaking out. I'm laughing through the pain. πŸ’€

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Harness training is soooo hard. Sounds like you’re making good progress! My bird still hasn’t forgiven me for putting it on her once and her getting stuck in it. Oof. We need practice dummies for putting them on!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Its so true, lmao.

Kirby’s new, hot pink aviator harness came in today. His old one is a leather and something else AvianWeb number, and it requires you to get it over his head, adjust the belt under his wings, and then (if you aren’t bleeding by then) hook the leash to it to hold the whole thing together.

No thanks. Hoping the aviator is our ticket instead! It would be nice to be able to take him out of the Pak-O when we arrive indoors at places that are pet friendly, but also be able to guarantee he’s not going on a wild run around the store.

He rides in the car in his Pak-O, buckled into a seatbelt, because I feel safer about him in there, especially if there is an accident. It’s also kind of a pain to get it into a seatbelt though - I want a backpack that can do it all, dang it!

OP
Emskee

Emskee

Feb 3, 2023
Parrots
You have a budgie, right? What harness do you use? How do you train? how has training been so far? I
Yeah! I use a MiniWings harness (I could be a little off on the name...) from eBay. Training has had its ups and downs. It's mostly me learning what the best way is through trial and error. Holding her on my thumb while holding the treat and harness in the other hand is how I get it on now, but if you want more pointers I explained a lot in my other comments!

Harness training is soooo hard. Sounds like you’re making good progress! My bird still hasn’t forgiven me for putting it on her once and her getting stuck in it. Oof. We need practice dummies for putting them on!
Oh no I'm so sorry! Right? Birds are so delicate, I feel like I'm man-handling her when I pull the straps πŸ˜‚

Its so true, lmao.

Kirby’s new, hot pink aviator harness came in today. His old one is a leather and something else AvianWeb number, and it requires you to get it over his head, adjust the belt under his wings, and then (if you aren’t bleeding by then) hook the leash to it to hold the whole thing together.

No thanks. Hoping the aviator is our ticket instead! It would be nice to be able to take him out of the Pak-O when we arrive indoors at places that are pet friendly, but also be able to guarantee he’s not going on a wild run around the store.

He rides in the car in his Pak-O, buckled into a seatbelt, because I feel safer about him in there, especially if there is an accident. It’s also kind of a pain to get it into a seatbelt though - I want a backpack that can do it all, dang it!
No way my girl's harness is pink too! βœ¨πŸ˜‚
Ah, smart move...
I always buckle her in when I put the carrier in the car too πŸ˜‚

Most Reactions

Latest posts