Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
So three days ago I brought home my boy Maddox who is a green cheek conure. I really want to start working with him so he becomes more comfortable with me but really could use some direction. He eats his pellets very well but is not interested in treats or anything else which has made training kinda difficult. I have been taking it slow but just placing my hand in his cage which he runs from then relaxes. I got him to eat out of my hand this morning but I am not sure if that is necessarily a good thing. Anyway, I really could use some advice, even if it means leaving him alone to adjust to his new habitat.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hello 3 days? Try 3 months before you expect anything. Ok you're in the right place and welcome. Let's run this through. If your little one runs then you are too close. Start off by simply sitting talking to him. Read out loud to him just to let him learn your voice. Walk past his cage and talk as you go, tell him what you are doing. Repeat words like his name so he gets to recognise them. Always repeat in the same way what you are doing so he can learn a pattern. When Syd was new he shied away even if I changed my clothes! :) There is going slow and there is almost stopped and this is a time for almost going backwards. So let's back up a bit. He's scared of you quite naturally so try really hard not to do anything that worries him. Take your hand out of the cage, that's his safe space and even the newness of that is still scary. Let him get curious and approach you, even then don't get excited and think it's show time because this is a case of 2 steps forward and 3 back until you have gained his confidence. once he approaches offer a treat in your fingers through the bars. Then wait. When he has done that many times then maybe he is ready for the next i step. All the time remember to tell yourself that he is really scared and treat him that way.

Have no expectations because this will teach you patience like you have never known but it will be so worth it when once he realises that nothing nasty happens when you are around. Take your time and then double it at least and good luck.

Gemster

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 4, 2019
Media
Parrots
Valentine-budgie (M),
Daphne-budgie (F)
Rip-Sky
Rip-Bell
If a bird doesnā€™t take food it means theyā€™re either stressed, sick or dead. All birds are food motivated. Itā€™s important to figure out why he isnā€™t taking food. If heā€™s worried about your presence then you can drop a treat near him (ie. His food bowl; on a flat perch etc.) and leave to let him eat it himself, gradually getting to the point where you donā€™t have to leave.
If he ate out of your hands, take it as a great achievement.
Avoid having to feed from the bowl and try feeding his meals through you. Hand feed his pellets (if he is clearly comfortable to do so) or feed them through foraging activities when you donā€™t have time. Having him work for his food will greatly increase food motivation, his confidence and your relationship with him.
Also avoid putting him in situations where he has to run from you or your hand as youā€™re conditioning him to run from you when your focus should be on building his confidence to come towards you. When you offer food, make sure you place it away from him so that he can make the choice to come towards your hand.

OP
maddox

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
2022 Parrot of the Year šŸ†
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
Hello 3 days? Try 3 months before you expect anything. Ok you're in the right place and welcome. Let's run this through. If your little one runs then you are too close. Start off by simply sitting talking to him. Read out loud to him just to let him learn your voice. Walk past his cage and talk as you go, tell him what you are doing. Repeat words like his name so he gets to recognise them. Always repeat in the same way what you are doing so he can learn a pattern. When Syd was new he shied away even if I changed my clothes! :) There is going slow and there is almost stopped and this is a time for almost going backwards. So let's back up a bit. He's scared of you quite naturally so try really hard not to do anything that worries him. Take your hand out of the cage, that's his safe space and even the newness of that is still scary. Let him get curious and approach you, even then don't get excited and think it's show time because this is a case of 2 steps forward and 3 back until you have gained his confidence. once he approaches offer a treat in your fingers through the bars. Then wait. When he has done that many times then maybe he is ready for the next i step. All the time remember to tell yourself that he is really scared and treat him that way.

Have no expectations because this will teach you patience like you have never known but it will be so worth it when once he realises that nothing nasty happens when you are around. Take your time and then double it at least and good luck.
Yah you were way off. Itā€™s now day 6 and he steps up on my finger and is totally affectionate and friendly. All I have to do is open his cage and hold my hand out and he comes right to me. Didnā€™t take anywhere close to three months

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
wonderful that you have made progress!

But the advice that things can take time is very valid. Depending on the burd and it's background and experience. Sometimes it really can take months. I've had parrots for over 20 years. My most recent had a terrible phobia of hands, it took 2 months for her step up. Some have been wonderful from day one.

And you may still experience some set backs in the future. Misunderstanding can happen, requiring a rebuilding of trust.

This is a really great article, covers lots of stuff, even some on bites. And all of us have to deal with bites here and there.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Yah you were way off. Itā€™s now day 6 and he steps up on my finger and is totally affectionate and friendly. All I have to do is open his cage and hold my hand out and he comes right to me. Didnā€™t take anywhere close to three months
That's great news. I am glad it has worked out so far so well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts