I really need help with my lovebirds

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
Hello Iā€™m new here . And I really need help I have 6 lovebirds that all live together and I really would like to tame them and bring them out of their cage . But they are so afraid of me and fly all around the cage to hide . I donā€™t know if itā€™s impossible to tame 6 lovebirds that live together? Please help

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
can u try seperating them? it would be easier

here is a thread that might help..

u want to assotciate yourself with good stuff such as treats so whenever u walk pass just drop a treat in thier bowl
after they assoticatie you with treats they will start to get more comfortable around u
then u can try target training

OP
Sinead

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
I might have to get another cage but I canā€™t right now . I will try the treats . Should they be around me where they can see me ?

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I might have to get another cage but I canā€™t right now . I will try the treats . Should they be around me where they can see me ?
its best to make them be able to see you to make them be able to recognise you

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Are they rescued?
Are you planning to let them have babies?
(Since a pair can give as much as 5new members if well cared for.)
Please show us their photos....
do they have names?

I would suggest close observation, identifying each one personality out.
It's usually start with these steps....

1. Getting them to know that you come with treats.

I would put their cage in a corner where they can observe me watching TV or other stuff
....drop treats as I walk by
...talk to them in simple short words at the same time everyday, like good night ....so one day one of them will talk back

2. Knowing each one's personality through close observation. After sitting next to them, observe and identify as follows......

Who paired with whom
who is most gentle
who is more aggressive
who doesn't get along with who

From here, share with us the details of your observation. This will also then, point to.....
.....who does not have a buddy
.....that is who to start bonding with you first, take him or her out from the flock.
.... this is the one to start with teaching step up on a stick

....which couple quarrel with which
....what's the quarrel about, if it is food bowl or water bowl, add more feeding spots
......Whice couple to move to a separate cage

3.There are many ways to bond, what have you tried and how did it go?
have you.....?

....call her name often
.....look at her eyes and be sensitive to her emotions
......talk to her or read to her
......praise her for positive reinforcement
.....teach her simple commands like good girl and No, to discourage unwanted behavior
....potty training
....teaching new tricks for bonding
.....take her out for a walk outdoor in a bubble carrier
.....identify her favorite food
....giving treats or playing with her
....spend time relaxing around her at least 4 hours a day, 2 in the morning and 2 before sun set. Then she needs to sleep.
....say good night before you put her to bed

Hopefully, you will find some satisfactory answers in the near future. However, if you provide us more details, our experienced members may be able to assist you better.

OP
Sinead

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
They are not rescued but I rescued all of them from a pet store . All 6 of them have a pair no one is left out they all sleep in a line together and feed each other . I have not named them as of yet I have only had them since Sunday . There is one cheeky one he isnā€™t so afraid but once they all fly away so will he follow them . The day I got them that night I could touch 2 of their bellies but never since then . There is no rush I just want to know Iā€™m doing things right. I donā€™t think I would want them to have babies as i donā€™t know how to care for a pregnant bird . They are 6-7 months old . Never hand fed or anything like that . Iā€™m trying to find the perfect spot for them in my very small SA home I do put them outside for some sun and fresh air daily . Along with a healthy died that Iā€™m trying to implement. I speak to them a lot as I am home all day everyday . They have been shouting or screaming quite a bit . They do have toys I do want to get more for them I heard that natural Wood perches are best for their feet ?
A8BC4303-D7E8-4E55-BFA0-9C3BDFB2EBA8.jpeg

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
They are all very colorful and cute. Meanwhile, I suggest adding some natural perches from nearby tree, swing to play, stairs to climb.

This 6to 7month of age is still very young.
From the photos they are all friends or siblings. Paired lovebirds sit in pair keeping away from others.

You are kindhearted, but I am sorry that the store did not inform you well.

The good news.....
....they have not paired up, no fighting for space, still can be single out to bond with you.
....You will also need to ask some one at the store to tell you which is male or female. I was told that female are more aggressive, more difficult to tame, and may lay eggs with out partner, called chronic egg laying. So I suggest you choose one male to bond with.
....if you are keeping 2, then 2 males. Some people do. They probably won't fight since they grow up together. But who knows, I wouldn't do this. They may either fight and need 2 separate cages. Or they may bond and neglect you.

The bad news.....
......at the age of 10th month, they are likely to fight to pair up.
.....as they fight among themselves, add at least 3 set of food/water bowls, this way identification is easy. A couple that eat together has paired. The one chased away had lost the fight.
......Now weaker ones may be starve, so the need for extra food bowls. But they may bleed and need a separate cage. Quick separation will be needed before the need to take injured one to the vet arise.
......Keeping a paired birds will result in 4 to 5 babies per season. I would worry about this.
.....paired bird mate for life
.......Would it be possible to return some of them to the store? Or give them away in pair after they have paired up? Perhaps some family would love to watch growing baby birds?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
They are beautiful! I feed mine fresh fruit and veggies, organic sprouted Bird seed and tops. And for treats they get millet and Higgins seeds. Lovebird are incredibly sweet and curious! Mine are both food motivated. The first day I brought my one (Pearl)home she landed on my head (her previous owner never handled her and couldn't believe how friendly she was being). Pearl will follow Luvy's lead and will land on me but she hasn't let me touch her. Pearl was 3.5 when I adopted her. Both of my lovebirds love bells and listening to other birds! They will often sing along. Luvy will blow kisses my way when he wants food, out and attention!

Did you name your birds yet?

On the egg front, I would read up on how to prevent breeding behavior ie no nesting or dark areas and lighting has alot to do with hormones and birds. I believe if you mimic winter (short days) vs spring (longer daylight) this should help. I'm not an expert and would research.

If you haven't already start looking for an avain vet so you have one incase you ever need one .

Have you had birds before? If not read up on toxic fumes and things that could harm your bird like Teflon, non stick pans, scented candles and air freshners. When I welcomed a bird in my life I had to go through a lifestyle change. I nolonget wear perfume in the house and clean with vinegar and have air purifiers- as my air quality in my area is not the greatest. Look of up signs of a sick bird so you can be prepared and maybe invest in a gram scale to monitor their weight.

Last edited:
OP
Sinead

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
They are beautiful! I feed mine fresh fruit and veggies, organic sprouted Bird seed and tops. And for treats they get millet and Higgins seeds. Lovebird are incredibly sweet and curious! Mine are both food motivated. The first day I brought my one (Pearl)home she landed on my head (her previous owner never handled her and couldn't believe how friendly she was being). Pearl will follow Luvy's lead and will land on me but she hasn't let me touch her. Pearl was 3.5 when I adopted her. Both of my lovebirds love bells and listening to other birds! They will often sing along. Luvy will blow kisses my way when he wants food, out and attention!

Did you name your birds yet?

On the egg front, I would read up on how to prevent breeding behavior ie no nesting or dark areas and lighting has alot to do with hormones and birds. I believe if you mimic winter (short days) vs spring (longer daylight) this should help. I'm not an expert and would research.

If you haven't already start looking for an avain vet so you have one incase you ever need one .

Have you had birds before? If not read up on toxic fumes and things that could harm your bird like Teflon, non stick pans, scented candles and air freshners. When I welcomed a bird in my life I had to go through a lifestyle change. I nolonget wear perfume in the house and clean with vinegar and have air purifiers- as my air quality in my area is not the greatest. Look of up signs of a sick bird so you can be prepared and maybe invest in a gram scale to monitor their weight.
Iā€™ve tried to feed them veggies and fruits and all that in all different ways they will not eat it . But LAST NIGHT šŸ˜.. I got to touch the orange and yellow little bird on the belly again . So Iā€™ve named that one mango and one other chirpy because he jogs them all on . Iā€™ve never had my own birds but Iā€™ve grown up around birds my whole life . I also have an African grey but heā€™s my FiancĆ©ā€™s bird heā€™s had him for 8 years now but he likes me more . šŸ¦œ

OP
Sinead

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
Iā€™ve tried to feed them veggies and fruits and all that in all different ways they will not eat it . But LAST NIGHT šŸ˜.. I got to touch the orange and yellow little bird on the belly again . So Iā€™ve named that one mango and one other chirpy because he jogs them all on . Iā€™ve never had my own birds but Iā€™ve grown up around birds my whole life . I also have an African grey but heā€™s my FiancĆ©ā€™s bird heā€™s had him for 8 years now but he likes me more . šŸ¦œ

OP
Sinead

Sinead

Nov 15, 2021
Parrots
African grey
6 lovebirds
This is him heā€™s very mean but he tries

Attachments

• 1811B41A-BB01-4251-B66D-C3A956774B3E.jpeg
    1811B41A-BB01-4251-B66D-C3A956774B3E.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 78