I still take it personally

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My sun us almost 18 and she still bites me on ocassion but not very badly.
One of hervtriggrrs is if she is sitting next to her Quajer parrit sister and doentb want to leave her. of course I wkmy know this until she goes for me. This doesn't happen 100% time

I got ba k into training both my girls and just wanted to ask a few questions to those who have comures who are say close my Sun’s age.

1. Do you still get bit? There is a guy in youtube I watch who she not been bitten by his bird on over ten years. I si kike that's jog me.

2. Is there an age cut off for when a Sun can learn things. She is doing well with touching target stick but now trying yo introduce the target around my hang. Can str still kedtn this ag her age.

3. Can even a trained bird still bitr on occasion? My girls are not highly trained lslideshow bird but they have had some taming and training.

4. This is a general question but I have read that it is recommended to train your bird 2 to three times daily. I am not able to this. Is once a day in the morning okey? Today I was able to get a second session in the evening.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My sun us almost 18 and she still bites me on ocassion but not very badly.
One of hervtriggrrs is if she is sitting next to her Quajer parrit sister and doentb want to leave her. of course I wkmy know this until she goes for me. This doesn't happen 100% time

I got ba k into training both my girls and just wanted to ask a few questions to those who have comures who are say close my Sun’s age.

1. Do you still get bit? There is a guy in youtube I watch who she not been bitten by his bird on over ten years. I si kike that's jog me.

2. Is there an age cut off for when a Sun can learn things. She is doing well with touching target stick but now trying yo introduce the target around my hang. Can str still kedtn this ag her age.

3. Can even a trained bird still bitr on occasion? My girls are not highly trained lslideshow bird but they have had some taming and training.

4. This is a general question but I have read that it is recommended to train your bird 2 to three times daily. I am not able to this. Is once a day in the morning okey? Today I was able to get a second session in the evening.
1. I get bit by my very well trained birds if they're mad for some reason.

2. There is no age cutoff for when a bird can learn things.

3. Yes, for sure.

4. Yup, totally! As long as you spend enough time with your birds.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Thank you for the reply. I have been second guessing myself a lot lately.

I work remotely with tbd girls in the office.

I just don’t like how I get more upset when my sun bites me then my Quaker LOL!

My sun though loves whrn I scratch her head and will give lots of kisses.

I know in my mind that when she bites she is saying β€œI dint want to do that.” I just wish she could tell me in a different way LOL!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
I have both a sun conure and a cockatoo so I’ll tell you about both.

1. I do get bit by my sun conure, not by my cockatoo thank god but my sun conure yes. It’s all about knowing them and their general body language to avoid bites. But it will somehow be inevitable to be bit by any bird.

2. There is no age cut off for when a bird can learn things or new skills. It may be a tad bit harder and takes more effort to train let’s say an old rescue bird with a traumatic past as opposed to a young adopted bird. But both with pleasing outcomes once you provide them the training and time they need.

3. Yes even a trained bird will bite on occasion it’s normal. Parrots are a few generations domesticated from the wild and they have wild instinct as well as some bad days just like humans.

4. It’s okay to even give in one training session one day and a couple the next day but it’s best to be consistent. That’s what’s important if you really want your training outcomes to go far.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
1. I get bit, not often but very occasionally, my Quaker will bite me, say when he flies up onto the medicine cabinet and doesn't want to come down. My Green cheek nips, not too hard, but I think it's more of a habit for him, he has come a long way since I adopted him though.
2. There's not age where a bird can't still learn, my 13 y.o. cockatiel learned to target, forage, and play.
3. My QP is trained to to many tricks, to step up and does decent (even though short) recalls, he still bites, even if rarely. Same with my GCC. Even one of my budgies nips in excitement when she wants me to hurry up and put her food bowl down.
4. I only train my birds once a day in the morning.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yep even a trained parrot will bite It is up to you the human to make sure you do not get bitten. KNow your parrot, know his body language, know when he does not want to do something and learn to go about it another way. I have my amazon down pat, but even then I get bit once in awhile. Like if I dont play with him all day and dont do training at the regular time, I know moving him to his cage is a prime time to get bitten. SO i approach him from the front with one hand, and one in the back and it distracts him long enough so he steps up and doesnt bite. I KNOW if i did it the normal way, POW, i get nailed.

Training sessions are best done at the same time every day, so the parrot comes to sessions ready to learn. Salty and I train almost every day, and thats been for over 5 years. He is at the point where he picks up a new trick in 1 or 2 tries, because he knows it learning time.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yep even a trained parrot will bite It is up to you the human to make sure you do not get bitten. KNow your parrot, know his body language, know when he does not want to do something and learn to go about it another way. I have my amazon down pat, but even then I get bit once in awhile. Like if I dont play with him all day and dont do training at the regular time, I know moving him to his cage is a prime time to get bitten. SO i approach him from the front with one hand, and one in the back and it distracts him long enough so he steps up and doesnt bite. I KNOW if i did it the normal way, POW, i get nailed.

Training sessions are best done at the same time every day, so the parrot comes to sessions ready to learn. Salty and I train almost every day, and thats been for over 5 years. He is at the point where he picks up a new trick in 1 or 2 tries, because he knows it learning time.
I have vision problems so I don’t always pick up on tbd body language.

I also use a buddy perch instead of my hand when getting them out of the cage.

I train at about 7am every day. It’s early o know but I work and they go to bed early.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure

I am not great, at on picking up body language execeiyvwheb I see her go for me this when I move My hand out of the way.

I was taught that when a bird bites you should not react act all because anyone kind of reaction will be interpreted as some kind of attention and will encourage the behavior.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
I have to resist taking bites and growls personally. It is sometimes hard to put bird behavior into perspective as a human being.

1. Do you still get bit?
I seldom get bit by our birds, but I will never assume I won't get bit. It depends on the bird. Our conure is pretty chill and his "back off" cues are very easy to read. He gives a peck instead of a bite unless he is pushed way, way too far. Our eclectus is fearful of hands and crosses the biting threshold without too much warning. I get bit every few months when I cross his comfort threshold and am not paying close attention. He is generally very sweet and affectionate, but I have to read the lines and make sure I don't cross them or there might be blood. I embrace the challenge!

2. Is there an age cut off for when a Sun can learn things.
I'd say no, they are always learning and growing. OTOH. they also have their personalities, hang-ups and quirks like humans do that are part of their make-ups. We need to study our birds and know them well.

3. Can even a trained bird still bite on occasion?
Yes. It is up to us humans to do our due diligence to avoid it.

4. This is a general question but I have read that it is recommended to train your bird 2 to three times daily.
I'd say don't sweat it. Do what you can. My birds and I have great days when I have time and they are in a good mood. Some days things don't align. It is okay. Today I got to spend hours with our birds. It was a good day: baths, training, snuggling, snacks, etc. Tomorrow will be busy for me, so not so much fun.

Last edited:
OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
How do you avoid it. I just move out if the way I’d I see a an beak going for me LOL! I dint always get a cue.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
How do you avoid it. I just move out if the way I’d I see a an beak going for me LOL! I dint always get a cue.
Our eclectus has certain triggers that I've learned the hard way. For instance, he gets into a "heightened state" anytime food or treats are involved. Over time, Ive learned to train him without getting bit. I also don't touch his cage while he is in it or he growls and drives me away. I let him come out of his cage and he is always a sweetie.

Sudden movement of hands is a trigger. I have learned to read the "scowl" around his eyes which my wife says she cannot detect. The way he turns his head. The way he flattens his feathers.

Our conure is chill with just about anything, just don't mess with his water bottle while he's in the cage or he will move quick and bite before you see it happening. We know this is his trigger so we avoid it.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
The thing I notice with my girls is if they are sitting upright next to each other, you really can't ask for one to step up. If the Quaker does it, the Sun will follow. If I address the Sun alone, she sometimes may do it but often times won't, which can result in her giving a bite to get the message across to me. The Quaker is at the top of the pecking order so I have always tried to respect that and use it to my advantage. For example, if they are both on top of the cage I want them to come down. I take my handheld perch and have Nikki Step up first. Then Sunny follows her lead and will step up. P.S. Sunny is one month older. I just hope this is okay to do in certain instances. Anyone else have a leader and follower at times.

Sunny will take the lead when I have them each on their own training perch and do some brief training with them. I basically do targeting around them. I think they both think it is a game LOL!. I really want them to enjoy it while learning something in the process. Sunny is slowly starting to learn that it is more desirable and rewarding the touch the stick and not nip at the handheld perch. However, I do allow Sunny and Nikki to use their beak to help them step up, but give them lots of praise when they do a nice stop up with only their feet.

I will also add that while both my girls will step up on my hand and sit on it individually and at once. However, I am often a handheld perch. I have been using this perch for years called the Buddy Perch. it is mentioned in Parrots for Dummies, a book that I have. I really don't need the added protection of the Plexiglas but it is great for catching poop, which is one less poop on the floor LOL!

They both love to step up on it together. Scroll down to see a pic.

You know how there are parents out there raising kids that look at how other parents are raising their kids and wonder if what there is doing is right? Or do they compare themselves with other parents? Well, I am often like that because I don't with my girls. The thing is I don't have any local friends that keep birds. Since early this year with Nikki's wing amputation, I have been second-guessing myself a lot with a lot of things. My girls are almost 18 so hopefully, I did at least a couple of things right.

1646670625560.png

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think you must be doing a lot of things right, they both look beautiful.

What are your goals? Less bites? Better step up?

Vision issues and dealing with a bonded pair are definitely more tricky.

Explain everything to them use the same routine and phrases, reward every time.
If the quaker steps up well have her go first and really praise and treat. Put her back on perch and ask the sun. If the sun refuses, ignore her and ask the quaker again and really praise abd feed several treats. Put her back. Then come back in ten minutes, ask the quaker to go first again with lots if praise and treats. Then ask tge sun again. Often when they see the good bird model the behavior and get all the treats FOMO kicks in...

Patient and time. Your are building up your trust bank.

Yes mine can bite, but it is rare.. my last bite was my fault abd I wasn't thinking or paying attention. My sweetheart Pikachu quaker is bonded to Penny quaker. I wanted to move stuff around in Penny's cage. Which means I must take Penny out first or she will loose her mind scream and bite. So I moved her nearby. I'm mess around in her cage and Pikachu comes over, gives me a kiss. Then I go back to messing around and Pikachu climbs in Penny's cage. Pikachu decided she must defend her freinds home! Lightning fast she slashed my knuckle open, painful and blood gusher. Ofcourse my feelings are hurt, but she is just defending her mates home. I clean up the cut, tgen come back to the cage and ask Pikachu to come out, which she does nicely . She even asks for another kiss and cuddle. Then I move her far away, and set her up with foraging snacks. Finish cage maintenance no problems....took that knuckle awhile to heal up tho!

So them protective of each other. Probably moving them away from the cage will help. Abd don't always focus on training, do plenty if just hanging out together as well, with sweet talks and hsbd fed treats

Last edited:
OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
All your suggestions I have been doing which makes me feel lots better.

My goals are to be more in tune with them and spend quality time with them. But sure less bites and better step ups! I don’t constantly get bit but with breeding season cominh I would like to have more confidence when doing it.

They are bonded but both come to me and do well with people. They both eat from your hand. They like kids.

My goal is for them to be a bit more independent of each other which is beginning to happen slowly. Sunny loves training because of the food. Both love to eat but Sunny is a bigger foodie.

I just wish there was a guide to follow. Its very different then how I used to teach piano where it was a new lesson every time. What a YouTube video covers in one training session I covert in several. I go slow not just for them but for me because I am learning.

I spent two weeks alone just target raining. I was training every morning before there first meal.

Now I am targeting around my buddy perch. So they get to learn to step up. This is more to help Sunny. My Quaker is her good with step ups but not as motivated with targeting as Sunny is. I really think the targeting will help Sunny long term.

Do you always use your hand for birds stepping up or do you use a hand held perch as well?

Should I do what you suggested with them sitting on tbe same perch? I left so I would have so that using a hand held perch otherwise I can guarantee the sun will get bit. I did this today with them sharing a perch.

If they are on two separate perches the sun and Quaker are more focused on me and less focused on each other.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I was just think of this, you kinda keep switching the rules in them, sometimes the perch and sometimes your hand. Thats confusion.

If this "was me " and I had concerns about say stepping up from the Cage without a bite. Id always have them step first to the buddy perch and then to my hand. Id always do it this same way.

But if it was really me, I'd ditch the hand held perch completely and just do the hand. But I don't have visions problems ( well I do need bifocals @@!) But tgere are plenty of people that have them step to perch then hand . Be consistent.

I always do hand. But just to see i went and offered a hand held perch to mine. Lol they were like what the heck?? No way. But Ta-dah targets well so I asked her to target to the hand held perch and she did nicely. It's after hours here and the quakers don't like to come out st this time. I might play around tomorrow.

There are lots if ways to accomplish the same goal. See what works best for you and yours.

I've never focused on step up training. If the bird isn't stepping up I focus on the why? Fear? Trust? Communication? I focus on those, then the step up is just a natural thing.

Stories are how I share best. I got my quaker Pheobe from the pet store because she had behavior issues and I wanted to save/rescue her and paid top dollar (( ha ha )) for the privilege . Ever time I'd visited she was screaming the whole time I was in the pet store....the very day I showed up all the employees e in a huddle having a meeting, turns out the manager was telling them they were sending her back to corporate as un-sellable @ @@@@@@

Anyway Pheobe had developed a very real phobia of hands , combination of people being able to stick fingers in her cage, and staff lacking parrot experience trying to train and force step up. Anytime she saw hand she alarm called and ran around saying up up up very upset and angry, lunging bite and so on. Very quickly when we got home, I realized if she even saw my hands she would freak. But if I kept my hands down and didn't raise above waist level I could come to her cage and she would come to the bars and we could visit.

That was going to take time, but I still wanted her to come out of the cage snd have enrichment . So I trained her to come out when asked and return to cage when asked, hands free. I showed her a treat and put on top of cage abd asked her to come out....and waited , and repeated as she did eventually.. and vocally sang her praises . Same thing when time to go back. She was a sucker for all that bragging!

We focused on trust. I spent a lot if time with my chair mashed up to her cage, and eventually her trusting to climb around on me there. Then I'd have my hand on my chest and she would climb over it , she would climb down my arm and over my hand to go back to cage. Then id have my hand under her and lift an inch and she would jump back down on to me. It went on like that till she would stay on my hand longer and I could start moving her on my hand away from my body. I never say step up to her ever, eventually I started saying come here as the same thing. Tho I never did any training focused on. It took 2 months I think before she was on my hand away from my body. Moving onto my hand just became a natural way to get from there to me, or from me to there. I offer my hand and she just steps up I don't have to say anything, sometimes she refuses, but if I offer again a few minutes later she will.

Long story... just to say it doesn't always have to be focused training

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
All your suggestions I have been doing which makes me feel lots better.

My goals are to be more in tune with them and spend quality time with them. But sure less bites and better step ups! I don’t constantly get bit but with breeding season cominh I would like to have more confidence when doing it.

They are bonded but both come to me and do well with people. They both eat from your hand. They like kids.

My goal is for them to be a bit more independent of each other which is beginning to happen slowly. Sunny loves training because of the food. Both love to eat but Sunny is a bigger foodie.

I just wish there was a guide to follow. Its very different then how I used to teach piano where it was a new lesson every time. What a YouTube video covers in one training session I covert in several. I go slow not just for them but for me because I am learning.

I spent two weeks alone just target raining. I was training every morning before there first meal.

Now I am targeting around my buddy perch. So they get to learn to step up. This is more to help Sunny. My Quaker is her good with step ups but not as motivated with targeting as Sunny is. I really think the targeting will help Sunny long term.

Do you always use your hand for birds stepping up or do you use a hand held perch as well?
I was just think of this, you kinda keep switching the rules in them, sometimes the perch and sometimes your hand. Thats confusion.

If this "was me " and I had concerns about say stepping up from the Cage without a bite. Id always have them step first to the buddy perch and then to my hand. Id always do it this same way.

But if it was really me, I'd ditch the hand held perch completely and just do the hand. But I don't have visions problems ( well I do need bifocals @@!) But tgere are plenty of people that have them step to perch then hand . Be consistent.

I always do hand. But just to see i went and offered a hand held perch to mine. Lol they were like what the heck?? No way. But Ta-dah targets well so I asked her to target to the hand held perch and she did nicely. It's after hours here and the quakers don't like to come out st this time. I might play around tomorrow.

There are lots if ways to accomplish the same goal. See what works best for you and yours.

I've never focused on step up training. If the bird isn't stepping up I focus on the why? Fear? Trust? Communication? I focus on those, then the step up is just a natural thing.

Stories are how I share best. I got my quaker Pheobe from the pet store because she had behavior issues and I wanted to save/rescue her and paid top dollar (( ha ha )) for the privilege . Ever time I'd visited she was screaming the whole time I was in the pet store....the very day I showed up all the employees e in a huddle having a meeting, turns out the manager was telling them they were sending her back to corporate as un-sellable @ @@@@@@

Anyway Pheobe had developed a very real phobia of hands , combination of people being able to stick fingers in her cage, and staff lacking parrot experience trying to train and force step up. Anytime she saw hand she alarm called and ran around saying up up up very upset and angry, lunging bite and so on. Very quickly when we got home, I realized if she even saw my hands she would freak. But if I kept my hands down and didn't raise above waist level I could come to her cage and she would come to the bars and we could visit.

That was going to take time, but I still wanted her to come out of the cage snd have enrichment . So I trained her to come out when asked and return to cage when asked, hands free. I showed her a treat and put on top of cage abd asked her to come out....and waited , and repeated as she did eventually.. and vocally sang her praises . Same thing when time to go back. She was a sucker for all that bragging!

We focused on trust. I spent a lot if time with my chair mashed up to her cage, and eventually her trusting to climb around on me there. Then I'd have my hand on my chest and she would climb over it , she would climb down my arm and over my hand to go back to cage. Then id have my hand under her and lift an inch and she would jump back down on to me. It went on like that till she would stay on my hand longer and I could start moving her on my hand away from my body. I never say step up to her ever, eventually I started saying come here as the same thing. Tho I never did any training focused on. It took 2 months I think before she was on my hand away from my body. Moving onto my hand just became a natural way to get from there to me, or from me to there. I offer my hand and she just steps up I don't have to say anything, sometimes she refuses, but if I offer again a few minutes later she will.

Long story... just to say it doesn't always have to be focused training
When they come out if tbd cage I always use tbf buddy perch. It’s usually buddy perch from the cage and then from the buddy perch to hand. I thought I was the only one who did this. The girls are very good with thr buddy perch to hehe. Sunny gives me great step ups.

I just want to keep it consistent and not take their cooperation for granted. Since I started training Sunny will sometimes step up first on the buddy perch and go to hand which is what I want. I want Sunny to feel that it’s okey to go first. Nikki doesn’t have to always go first LOL! Sometimes they will both step up at the sane time to the perch then hand. But prior to my training I don’t think Sunny would ever go first. She would lunch at the buddy perch and buy it. it was always Nikki who went first, never Sunny. I would like to see more of Sunny going first.

I have no issues with them stepping from tbe buddy perch onto my hand. I think because I hold the perch in my hahd and ky other hahd is at a nice close position for them.

Sunny will sometimes bite with the step up with the perch and not cooperate if she is next to her buddy and I ask her to step up first. She did better with this today though because she learns she gets a reward (attention kf done kind) if she does it.

If I want to endure she will step up, the Quaker will have to leave the cage, perch or whatever first most of the time. OR they both step up at tbe same time.

I can stick my hands inshfe if tbe cage to get stuff or move stuff do there is no real fear if hands. I can let them give kisses. I can stick my fingers in the cage.

They are both pretty good with dealing with a partially deafblind mommy (Harboyan Syndrome) although I can still hear them Jody fine with my hearing aids in (high frequencies are the best in my hearing loss)

The fact that it’s common for people have them step up to a perch then there hand made me feel a bit better. These two are 18 and I still feel like there is so much I don’t know and always feel like I am doing it all wrong.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
you don't! You aren't doing it all wrong Lol, its a give and take between you , we all develop our own flock culture.

Observe, think, write down and log. Tweak. Things crop up with me and mine. I try and observe , and reflect. I try and really be objective. Sometimes I think I know what's going on, then after some observations I realize its completely different than I thought!

Example my green cheek started attacking my budgies. She had really gotten along with them before. I thought maybe they are annoying her. Then I thought she was resources guard....I changed stuff up, added more out of cage perches, food dishes. I moved their cages. Still a problem. So I spent a day observing. What observed surprised me! My quaker Neptune whom she was bonded with and really chose to be with. Was driving her nuts! He was just to clinging for her. And she was taking it out in the budgies!!!! still loved to be with him , just wanted some breathing room occasionally. So I started giving her a break , by cage her for an hour , then him for an hour . Totally fixed the issue, it was never the budgies! Then she went back to her old ways of never attacking them

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You and your birds are doing great. Change takes time.

You are already seeing some improvement, so you are doing good@

As always, more pictures of this cute pair!

Most Reactions

Latest posts