I Think Freddie Trusts Me!

SharonC

May 26, 2010
While we were at my parents last week, Freddie was a totally different bird. He asked for a LOT of head scratches, allowed me to rub his beak and toes. He climbed to my shoulder at one point, and rubbed his head in my cheek. I can actually put my finger in his beak, and he just "tastes" me. Tonight when I stepped him up to go to his sleep cage, he stepped up immediately without hesitation! My Mom noticed how he interacts with me, and commented that he seems to love me very much. I'm so proud of him!
lovehearts.gif

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Good deal Sharon, only goes to prove theres still hope for you yet :p....lol, Congrats! :)

Rrrma

Jul 22, 2010
USA
Parrots
see signature
Awesome! I long for the day for my LCA to trust me, though I don't hold my breath that that will ever happen.

I'm glad you finally made the connection and I hope it stays the same always.

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Well, I don't mean to pop your balloon but all birds behave in unfamiliar territory (I can handle the most aggressive of them at the vet's office without a single problem - it becomes the old 'better the bad I know than the good I don't'). I hope the trend continues but I hope you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't once you are home for good.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Oh, don't worry about popping my balloon...it's been popped many times!:p

I realize that Fred would have been a little insecure in unfamiliar surroundings. We've been home now for three days, and the good behavior has continued. Took him to the shower this AM with no problems, bedtime biting is not an issue right now...However, he does seem louder since we've returned home. I'm just enjoying the lack of biting for as long as it lasts. :rolleyes:

brookysmom

Aug 3, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
2 Parrotlets, a Blue Fronted Amazon.
Sounds like you are doing well and that is what matters even if you lose a lil ground here and there.

I recently rescued a Blue Front. He does not care for women which I am most definitly one of But he Adores my 16 year old Son.

He came Friday and is to the point he will allow me to han him food and touch his beak head and foot
I know it will take time I have worked with 4 rescued Zons and well i hope that in time he will trust me or find a great Guy to live out his years with.
Which ever is BEST for Him
I must admit i am hoping it is him here with me as i have wanted another Zon for years I adore these darn birds. However i wonder if it is possible for him to love life with a "evil" woman :0)

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Isn't it funny how birds seem to "choose" a particular gender or person? Levi, my Linnie, wishes my husband would move out! He hates him...not all men, just this particular man!

Freddie trusts me more than Hubby, but has no objection to being handled to a degree, by both of us. I'm encouraging hubby to interact with him as I don't want Fred to be a one person bird, and get too bonded to me. It does cause problems, especially with a bird like Fred. If Fred had Levi's attitude, hubby would be in hospital! LOL!!!

brookysmom

Aug 3, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
I know having done rescue for years though I find myself wondering if it is due to a past abuse issue Or if the bird just had a certain owner it bonded most with and that is who ist sticks with?
Since I rarely get truthful backgrounds I nebver know

I do know Pancho had a female owner before the guy I got him from and she told him she did not like her so unsure why
His owner cried when he left i felt so sorry for him:(

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Freddie's owner cried when Fred left too....She asked us to let her know how he's doing. I've emailed several times with updates. I've left a telephone message, as I needed some diet related info...No response to either. Who can figure some people out?:confused:

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Well, don't be too harsh on the previous owner. Sometimes people choose to completely dissasociate themselves from the pet they had for a long time as a way of not suffering from the loss. All my birds are rescues (as well as my dogs and cats) and I've seen this many, many times. It's a common behavior.

OP
SharonC

SharonC

May 26, 2010
It may be common behavior, but that's not what happened here. She gave me her phone number, and email address...and asked for my phone number, and email address, and asked us to update on how Fred adjusted.

brookysmom

Aug 3, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
I have found that many do like getting updates but than after they Get them they are happy to hear but decide they need to let go and do not reply as they are content to have gotten the update and know he is adjusting

I send out updates to birds owners i take in and when they stoop emailing back i know that they are ok and happy and stop sending them.
Some owners will happily get them for a year others are content with the first one
So do not be hard on them it is never easy to p[art with a pet

I actually started the doster program I run because i have a liver disease and I had to do treatments that were a lot like chempo and made me really sick.
I had two Amazons and a quaker here that i had rescued and I had two close friends take the Zons and I was going to place the Quaker biut backed out last minute i could not do it
I managed to get through two levels of treatments which took me almost 2 whole years talk about feeling like you were dying
I did keep Keys with me and got updates on the Boys and I still hear and even see them now and then. Having him and the updates helped me make it through though as did my kids who helped.

You can not know how it feels it tore me up inside watching them leave
And that is why I started offering to care for those owners dealing with Chemo and such.

thegreatkatsby

Aug 27, 2010
Media
Holyoke, Ma
Parrots
Pi, White-Capped Pionus

Rest in Peace:
Earlyn, Blue-Fronted Amazon
Gadget, Cockatiel
However i wonder if it is possible for him to love life with a "evil" woman :0)

Earlyn's (BFA) first owner was a little old lady, and Earlyn HATED her, but loved her husband.

Her second owner was a young man, whom she adored.

When I adopted her... she did not like women. But over six year, she has learned to love a lot of people. The first few years were very hard (and bloody!)... but now she's my little darling.

So, I believe birds can learn to love both genders!

Most Reactions

Latest posts